Any suggestions before reinstalling?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
After installing the latest security update my Macbook crashed and was stuck on a blue loading screen. I forced a reboot (after about 15-20mins) and it then stuck on a grey loading screen and simply sits there for ages. I have reset the PRAM and ran a hardware test which has made no difference. I also cannot enter “safe-mode” and am unaware what “verbose” mode is, or if it would be of any help.

I did a quick search and can see that others have had this problem and I’m pretty much resigned to the fact that I’m going to have to reinstall OS X. But before I do I thought I’d request some of the expert advice that floats around here.;D

1 - If I reinstall OS X and choose to keep my files are they all going to be found in the same locations / folders as before?

2 - Any suggestions on what else I could try before I reinstall the OS?

Thanks in advance.

OP
moss918
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Cheers MHC, got that bookmarked now. This was my 1st OS X update and I thought it would be ok simply running in the background - so I was running a couple of apps, downloading and running maintenance scripts! We live and learn.

Reaction score
moss918,

Just thought I'd add that when you run Maintenance scripts it's best to have nothing else running at the time ... this allows the app full access to your Macs HD.

OP
moss918
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Never knew that either, cheers Pulse!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.