Microsoft Office Suite V Neo-Office Suite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey everyone :)

I currently use Neo-Office for my typing and presentations but am wondering if the microsoft alternative is better?

I know neo-office is free but sometimes (and its hard to say this) Microsoft do make a good product and I do regulary use office on windoze machines whilst studying without an issue.

I really like the look of 07' for windoze, Do we know when microsoft will be releasing the OSX version?

I like Neo-office but it sometimes doesnt feel very responsive, and I just dont feel "At home" like i do when using Office by Micro$oft

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I personally use Microsoft Office because of its richer features and the absolute necessity of compatibility when doing work. Then again, on an Intel mac I might wait for Office 2007/2008 whatever they're releasing for OS X as a Universal Binary soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I use NeoOffice and have yet to have a compadibility issue. I LOVE NeoOffice =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Office 2008 is slated to be released later this year, sometime around the Fall I believe. It will have an interface similar to that of Office 2007 and will be a Universal binary.

I personally don't like NeoOffice. It's slow and like you said, I don't feel "at home" when using it. I personally use Pages and Office 2004. Pages for class notes and Office for writing papers (merely for compatibility reasons).

Your Mac should have came with a Office 2004 demo. Try it out and see how you like it in comparison to NeoOffice. If you don't have it on your machine, download it here: Office 2004 Test Drive

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Thanks everyone :)

Kash - I couldnt find the demo on my laptop, So I'll give that download a go later today hopefully and see how i get on.

I beleive the 04' version runs under rosetta doesnt it?

I genuinly like the look of 07' on windoze, so I might just stick out with neo-office till they release the 08' mac version and then go with that :)

Thanks once again everyone!

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I found NeoOffice to be much more responsive than MS Office 2004. I also really prefer NeoOffice Spreadsheets look and feel over Excel. Impress has all the same features as Power Point but it doesn't have very many designs built in like PP does.

I haven't had any compatability issues with NeoOffice, quite the contrary. It's easier to share with my friend that uses Word Perfect 10, because I couldn't open them at all before I got NeoOffice. The word wrap is slightly different in NeoOffice than it is in Word Perfect, but it's a lot better than AbiWord.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I have used every version of Office for Mac, and must say Office is not a bad product. I find myself using Mellel more and more for word processing. For compatibility reasons between my office XP box, and my Macs, I use word a lot. When the new Office comes out, I will likely just buy Word, as I don't use the other programs. Keynote is clearly better than PowerPoint, Entourage is useless, and perhaps I check out NeoOffice for spreadsheet needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
I will only buy Microsoft Office if I really really need it.

I may buy Office 2008, works beter on the Intel Mac's. Hopefully a better product.

I will try a testdrive first...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.