Question about Backing up Data

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Hey guys,

I have a external HDD plugged in my mbp, and I have a question about backing up data.

It's a 500GB disk, and I've partitioned it in 2.

First partition, for backing up purposes, fits the size of my mbp HDD (120 GB)

Second partition is for storage purposes.

First time I made a full backup from my mbp, creating a bootable disk in my external hdd, a full image of what I had at the moment in my mbp.

Question from now on.

With the drive software (Maxtor OneTouch III), I have to option to make incremental backups. That means that I won't have to back up all my data everytime, it just syncs both drives, and copy to my back up drive new/modified files.

But since my first backup, I've deleted a LOT of files, and when I synced again, it didn't deleted them from my external disk.

Is there a software that will sync both drives, and always leave me with an exact copy image of my mbp hdd?

Someone who has a Maxtor OneTouch III, knows if I'm able to do that with their software? I haven't find info about it so far, and I didn't want to rely on 3rd part applications.

Tks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
You might try Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner, I think both free. Everyone on these forums seems to mention those the most when it comes to imaging and cloning drives. Not sure about the syncing but I'm sure their sites will tell you whether they can do it or not.

Brian

OP
andrebnu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
tks man, I was already taking a look at SuperDuper.

Seems like it has incremental/syncing options, but not for free.

I'll take a look tonight, but I'm probably buying this software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
I use a combination of SuperDuper! and Chronosync. I use SuperDuper! to make a complete bootable clone of my system once a quarter, and then Chronosync is simply awesome for everything else. Chronosync basically detects changes and handles everything - moved files, it archives deleted files (per your setting as to how many archives to keep and you can specify how long you want it to keep archived files before they are purged), and sends me an email after it finishes it's nightly job with the statistics from the backup. Even better, ChronoSync can keep two of your Macs completely in sync, and it is FAST.

I'm using the free features of SuperDuper!, and I gladly paid the $30 for ChronoSync.

If you want to read up on ChronoSync, here's the site: ChronoSync

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.