MacBook Pro 17" Portability???

Reaction score
I am looking to get a 17" MBP. My question is... Is it really that difficult to carry around and transport. I want a large laptop because i do picture design. Should i get the 17" or the 15"???
Thanks in advance,
Burton8219

Reaction score
I was considering getting a 17 incher, but due to $ had to settle for a 15". And let me tell you, I am glad I didn't get the bigger one. I do a lot of traveling, thus have to lug this thing around. It may not seem that heavy, but after hanging from your shoulders for an hour or two (sometimes even 20 min) can be quite painful. Not to mention that it is too big to fit on your lap comfortably in the tiny 'lil tube they call an airplane.

But don't base your purchase on my experience. It all depends on you. Go to an apple store and compare weight. Plus if your only carrying it short distance's thyan there should be no worries.

Like I said before only you can decide whether it works for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have the 17 inch and take it everywhere (its still new so it has not been on a plane yet, but soon will be later this month, so i'll let you know after that) but I have not had a problem with it, and I am glad I went with the 17 inch because i never run out of screen space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
I have the 17 inch and take it everywhere (its still new so it has not been on a plane yet, but soon will be later this month, so i'll let you know after that) but I have not had a problem with it, and I am glad I went with the 17 inch because i never run out of screen space.

I know people hate to hear this, but this is such a question of personal preference.

I've used notebooks from as little as 11" and up to 17". For me, the 15" is the biggest I would go, and will be my next purchase. I do like to put the computer on lap occasionally as well as picking it up and moving it around the house, office, etc. It really depends on how much mobility you want.

I think a 17" notebook is really intended to be a desktop substitute, for someone who can not afford being anchored to one. A 15" is just so much more versatile... again personal preference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I know people hate to hear this, but this is such a question of personal preference.

I've used notebooks from as little as 11" and up to 17". For me, the 15" is the biggest I would go, and will be my next purchase. I do like to put the computer on lap occasionally as well as picking it up and moving it around the house, office, etc. It really depends on how much mobility you want.

I think a 17" notebook is really intended to be a desktop substitute, for someone who can not afford being anchored to one. A 15" is just so much more versatile... again personal preference.

I see what you mean, about it being personal preference and about being a desktop replacement. My computer is the perfect size for me, possibly not somebody else, and I also use it to get some work done when I am not able to be at my desktop at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
My computer is the perfect size for me, possibly not somebody else, and I also use it to get some work done when I am not able to be at my desktop at home.

Exactly what the OP needs to figure out!

OP... does this sound like you??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 2.16ghz Intel 2 Core Duo, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, 15.4" TFT, DVD+-RW/DL.
I've had a 13in MB and now have a 15 MBP. The extra screen space on the 15in is great! We have a friend that has a 17in MBP and honestly, it LOOKS really cool, big screen, etc...but there is NO way I'd want to cart that sucker around!
It's huge and there is are limited choices for cases too.
17 inchers are more of a desktop replacement and not meant to go very far.

Definitely a personal choice...good luck!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I've got a 15 incher, and it's a very versatile size. Sure, when I'm sitting and using it for photos I think a little extra screen would be nice, but in reality this is a good size. Now that I've got Aperture figured out, I am fine without the extra space. Maybe buy an external monitor to keep wherever you think you will be doing the most work? I've thought about doing just that. And, in case you were wondering, it's really a 15.4" screen, not 15".

Reaction score
17 all the way!

I have had a 15 MBP and recently upgraded to the 17 and I couldn't be happier. I travel a lot and I haven't had a problem. I bought a sleeve case and it still slips right into my backpack. It isn't that much taller than the 15 so I haven't run into major problems on airplanes. After having both, I don't think I'll ever go back to the 15.

But I totally agree it is something you have to figure out yourself. Too bad Apple doesn't have a "test drive" program where you could truly figure it out for yourself!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz, 512M RAM, 60GB HDD
Got a 13" MacBook and wouldn't swap it for the world. Small, light and compact, has kept me company on many a train and plane trip over the last year and its cool for just lying in bed chatting on IM as well :)

I do miss the screen size somewhat when doing my web design, and i don't think a 15" one would be too much of a sacrifice, i just love the compactability of this one :)

OP
B
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of getting a Black MacBook with 2gb ram and a 200 gig HD. Is the .33Ghz really going to make that much of a difference if I decide to get this? The most i will be doing on this laptop is iMovie/FCP and/or Photoshop and Boot Camp. Please anyone who has compared a MacBook and a MBP answer this.

OP
B
Reaction score
I wont really be doing any gaming because I'm more of a console gamer but I do know that the MacBook also has integrated graphics. Will this make a big enough difference that i should buy the MBP over the MacBook? Also keep in mind that this will be the laptop I take to college the year after next.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.