Memory prices decrease?

Reaction score
Just bought a 20" Imac with 1G of memory. Eventually I will be doing video editing and probably need 2G. I can get 2 x 1GB memory stick for $70 but was wondering if memory prices will drop further. Any comments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
Thats $70 each?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
That seems like a good price to me, maybe its because im in the UK but I would expect to pay about £70 ($140) for two 1 GB sticks! I think the general advice you will get in here will be 'buy it if you need it'. If not, then wait and you may see a price drop. There may be someone here with good knowledge of the market, but that's not me! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Black MacBook 160GB HD 2GB RAM
Memory Source - Link Please

Just bought a 20" Imac with 1G of memory. Eventually I will be doing video editing and probably need 2G. I can get 2 x 1GB memory stick for $70 but was wondering if memory prices will drop further. Any comments?
Wow! That sounds like a great price to me! Would you mind providing a link? Thanks!

Reaction score
This is not an expert opinion by any means, but Id buy as soon as you can because most likely the price is going to go up. A cpl months ago I was eyeballing a 1gb stick of ram at Newegg, but was waiting for the price to drop a cpl bucks. Well, instead of coming down it went up, and up, and up. Went from about $65 per stick to over $100 in about 3 weeks. And didnt come done for MONTHS!

I ended up just getting (2) 512mb sticks for about $70 total. Now I see the ram I was looking at at that time is $45 for a 1gb stick :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Memory prices have been dropping steadily the past couple of months, but there's really no telling when this trend will reverse itself. I bought the set Glenners linked to a couple weeks ago where it was priced $25 higher than it is now. So it could very well go down in the next couple of weeks, but there's really no guarantee.

If you can get a 2x1GB set for 70 bucks, that is an amazing deal. If I were in your position, I would buy it now than wait and risk prices going back up.

Though like Craig said, you should buy it when you really need it. If you're willing to wait a week or two to see where prices go, then by all means do so. But keep in mind that there's no guarantee that prices will continue to drop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
The thing with hardware upgrades is that you will always find a cheaper, better, faster part than you just bought. Prices will either keep going down, or RAM will get faster or come in larger quantities. It doesnt make sense that it will go up in price...
When you need it buy it.

Reaction score
$70? That is pocket change for someone willing to drop the big bucks for a mac. Buy the ram now and stick those suckers in! I had my memory upgraded before I ever hit the start button the first time! The ram was waiting for the macbook!

Reaction score
Question. Is it better to have 1 single stick of 2gig ram or 2 1gig sticks of ram?

OP
T
Reaction score
Here is the link to purchase 2GB for $70. I forgot to mention the MIR.

Unfortunately, I am returning my 20" Imac due to a buzzing noise. I bought as a refreshed condition from a mac store and notice a buzzing noise from the back of the imac like an aquarium water pump sound...really annoying when the room is quiet. We have a 17" Imac and it's very quiet...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145048

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Question. Is it better to have 1 single stick of 2gig ram or 2 1gig sticks of ram?

Generally, it's better to have 2 sticks so that you can run it in dual channel and get that extra smidgen of performance out of the computer.

Reaction score
Generally, it's better to have 2 sticks so that you can run it in dual channel and get that extra smidgen of performance out of the computer.
Good idea. Plus if 1 stick of ram goes bad you still have another that is working until you replace the bad ram.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.