shift s doesn't work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.16 GHz 15" MBP C2D 2.33 GHz 2GB RAM, Black Video iPod 80GB
Hi,

I have a macbook and just found out that for some reason, the shift-s function doesn't work? Its supposed to make a capital s, but I can't do it unless I press caps lock first. The s button by itself works, as you can see, and both shift buttons work as I was able to make the entire alphabet in caps except s...doesn't anyone know why? The wierd thing is, its not just the keyboard on the macbook, I've hooked up an external wireless keyboard and it also cannot do shift s, nothing happens at all! Not sure why I didn't notice this till today, but if anyone has any idea of what might be happening, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kelvin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
thats a strange problem, although ive heard of it once before...seems like a software problem...if enough ppl have this problem, maybe apple will release a firmware update that fixes things...until then, try repairing disk permissions.

OP
Dice-K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nope, unfortunately that didn't work. I fixed disc permissions, but shift s still doesn't do anything for me. Anyone else have any suggestions or ideas as to what may be causing this problem?

Kelvin

OP
Dice-K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
got the problem fixed! apparently, the speak text command was attached to this function, I changed it to a different button combo and shift s is working again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I use option+s for speak txt. I freaked my mom out tonight she came over and I had my MB hooked to my stereo and I got mail. My mail alert is pretty goofy, its from MacOS Ken, "I got mail, I got Mail, YEAAAAAAAAH!" She asked if that was my computer and I told her its hooked to the stereo. She was trying to be sarcastic and asked if it reads it to me as well, so I pressed option +s and sure enough it did. My dad proclaimed his computer (PC) can do that too. My Mom raised her iBrow and said she wants one of those and pointed at my MB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.