• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Used CD sales...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Looks like Florida and Utah are getting Stupid. Other states may follow....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
That's lame. Totally lame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
What next, will they start coming after ppl selling on eBay? Sheesh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Wait...what is that I hear? Is that...is that the sound of illegal file sharing?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
WOW. Just WOW. I thought I had heard it all till this one. Mister Government dood, can I sell my ibook on ebay? Can I? Or do I have to be strip searched, fingerprinted and who knows what else first?

What next?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
They really need to wake up and realize no matter how many barriers are put up to illegal music distribution, it's just too easy to get around, so they're really wasting a lot of time and money. Just when it looked like things were getting more sane with DRM-free music on iTunes . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I buy my CDs new, and then resell them to CD shops because it's LEGAL. How about instead of making laws we let the Used CD shop owners make the decisions on what their buying/selling policies will be? I mean, it is THEIR product. It seems like the government just wants to be able to tell people what to do with their property. This is a disgrace. Is there any place we can go these days without the government breathing down our shoulder and regulating every single tiny thing we do? I think we should have small government-free zones in this country where sane people can go to just get away from seat-belt laws, ridiculous CD selling regulations, and all of the other pointless laws that exist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't think the government really cares much at all about what people do with CDs, but the music industry does, who are probably the ones behind this idea in the first place and are lobbying state governments to take action.

I don't want to start a debate, but a lot of people think we would be better off if the government was less involved in business affairs. I don't think that's the case. I think in this situation, the government is actually hindering this kind if behavior. If it wasn't for laws and regulations in place, the music industry, who really wants this to happen, would implement this kind of procedure directly by strong-arming retailers into doing what they want.

The music industry is just using the government to get what they want. The state governments should tell the industry lobbyists to sit down and shut up.

Here's a good example right here in Indiana where business would be ripping us off if it weren't for government intervention:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007705060486

Of course, there are situations where government involvement is really bad for everyone, but at least it provides a check and balance system where change can be made by the people. If people would actually get involved.

Just my 2¢

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't think the government really cares much at all about what people do with CDs, but the music industry does, who are probably the ones behind this idea in the first place and are lobbying state governments to take action.

I don't want to start a debate, but a lot of people think we would be better off if the government was less involved in business affairs. I don't think that's the case. I think in this situation, the government is actually hindering this kind if behavior. If it wasn't for laws and regulations in place, the music industry, who really wants this to happen, would implement this kind of procedure directly by strong-arming retailers into doing what they want.

The music industry is just using the government to get what they want. The state governments should tell the industry lobbyists to sit down and shut up.

Here's a good example right here in Indiana where business would be ripping us off if it weren't for government intervention:

Of course, there are situations where government involvement is really bad for everyone, but at least it provides a check and balance system where change can be made by the people. If people would actually get involved.

Just my 2¢

I have to admit, I agree with you on this one....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

Just my 2¢

I agree. I don't like our current system and the close ties between business and government. I'd like to move more towards laissez faire where the businesses cannot influence gov't and gov't cant influence business. That's why I want libertarians in office, because neo-cons think this is real capitalism when it isn't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.