Dead WD MyBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I just recieved my WD MyBook Pro from the Ebay auction I won. And it seems to be dead. It is getting power because after about 30 Min it starts to get warm, but it does not turn on or mount on the desktop or even spin up. Is there something I am missing before I send it back?? When I got it everything was sealed, the box was sealed and the drive itself was sealed with an antistatic bag. All of the cables were sealed also so I dont think it was tampered with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Such is the risk of using eBay....
:D

If the seller has a return/refund policy, then I would just go with that.
There is no sense wastng time on trying to get it to work, when that time could diminish what return/refund period you have left.
Those drives aren't terribly expensive, so you should be able to pick up a factory brand new one at most major retailers.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do agree with you. I did end up paying close to what I could get it for at Newegg. I will probably end up going with that and be safe.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you guys think about a LaCie D2 Quadra 500GB? I found one at an online store that is cheaper than the MyBook. I may go with that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
There's some chance shipping could of damaged it, AFAIK, but it's just a thought.

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
quite possible, but either way I have to get it replaced

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The person that sold it to me said that they will honor the return and replacement of the drive. Now would it be better to return it and get the LaCie d2 Quadra or just get another MyBook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Just being curious, which My Book Pro did you get? The 1TB or 500GB one? I am planning on getting the 1TB My Book Pro II but there has been issues with the noise, although Western Digital has a firmware for this problem. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I have a 250GB MyBook Pro and I like it but I wish it had a fan. It doesn't over heat or anything, it'd just give me piece of mind. If you bought it new, you could send it back to WD if the guy doesnt honor the return/exchange.
Get what you like, they're really all the same.
Bryan

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea the guy replaced it. So I had another brand new one within a few days. I have the 500 GB one and the noise is only the HDD spinning up which is normal. If it had a fan then I would be happier but it works well, especially with all of those slots along the outside. After a little while of it running it gets pretty warm on the top vents and if you pick it up the bottom is very cool, no heat at all. so it works pretty well without a fan. If I would have not chose this one, I would have picked the LaCie d2 quadra which doeshave a fan, and an Esata plug but it is a little bit more expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yea, I really should swap out the HD in mine and put in a new one. I got mine new on eBay and the guy packed it badly. It makes that rumbing noise when its writing and transferring files. It seems slower than my old external too which was also a 7200 RPM drive. I've taken it apart and it looks pretty simple, so now I just need some spare dough.
Cool that yours turned out well.
Bryan

OP
KB3GZW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked at how to open it just out of curiosity and I could not find out how. I asked Western DIgital and they said that the internal interface is SATA. And I know that a few people on here were not sure about what it was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.