I need a bit of advice...

L

LoneGman

I've heard of auction buyers not buying, but sellers not selling?! I bid, and won, on an auction for a DP G4 1.42 MDD on a certain Mac website which will remain nameless. *cough, cough* The seller wasn't a "n00b", or anything like that, he'd been around the website for awhile; I even got a chance to talk over the phone with the guy selling it, since he lives really close. However, since winning the auction, I haven't been able to get in touch with the guy. It ended three days ago, and I'm bummed... That was going to be my first Mac! :( Is there anything anyone would suggest that I do, or is there even anything that I can do? Sorry for dumping this on you all, but you can understand how this makes me, a dyed-in-the-wool want-to-be Switcher, feel... Any advice will be welcomed gladly. :)

-- Michael Bankston, AKA "LoneGman"
P: 818-825-5448
E: [email protected]

OP
W

WilliS

maybe hes away for a weekend or something... technical problems.. the alike. i would say give it 5-7 days before you really worry..unless he told you hes not selling it now lol.

if hes not selling because he feels hes getting too low of a price for it, but it was his price he offered it at, i would say too bad for him...but in all honesty, unless its ebay or something like that, where people could get involved for not responding to the bidder, it seems like you are dealing with a gentleman's agreement...(one of those agreements you just shouldnt break...but if you do, i dont think there is a way to repremand them)

OP
L

LoneGman

Hehe, that's about what I figured... ;) By the way, what does 'PSU' stand for in your location? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
And the fact that you don't want to "name names" is commendable, but negatively impacting someone's reputation as a seller is one of the best methods of recourse available in this sort of situation. My suggestion would be to create a post like this on the original website (if you haven't already done so), so that the seller feels a bit of pressure to respond, seeing as few people would trust him in the future if he doesn't. Obviously though, you'll need to identify him in that post. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
LoneGman said:
Hehe, that's about what I figured... ;) By the way, what does 'PSU' stand for in your location? :)

I'm going to guess Penn State University. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I guess the auction forum has rules about that he had to see before posting anything for sale

OP
L

LoneGman

Just checking. I was thinking maybe Portland State, but that's a different story for a different day... ;) Thanks for the tip, I might have to seriously consider that. Not something I'd usually do, consider the whole "gentlemen's code" and all that, but we'll see. :)

OP
L

LoneGman

witeshark: I've been looking for some, but haven't had much luck yet... Maybe I'm just reading in the wrong place, who knows? *smirk*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Like what was mentioned above you should wait at least 5 days before doing too much about it. You'll feel like a real doof if he was just away and hasnt been able to reply and you post all this stuff about how bad he is and all it was was an honest bad timing issue.

OP
W

WilliS

yea, what murlyn said.

yea, it stands for pennsylvania state university... (most known for their college football team, which used to be good, but now sucks lol)

the gentleman's agreement is something like what happens when you apply "early decision" to a university you really want to get into.... like my friend applied to yale early decision. pretty much saying to yale "if you accept me, i promise i will go to your school... as opposed to someone who you may accept but decides not to go"... so if yale did accept him, he would have been locked into that school, in an agreement that should not be broken.

(on a side note, its funny to me, because he applied to 2 schools early decision...lol...if he actually got into both, he would have been screwing someones agreement...but hes that type of person who wouldnt care... so it was nice to see both schools denying him admission lol)

sorry for the tangent... point being, give it til tuesday or so...and if the kid was a college student, he might be in the process of moving back home for the summer, or studying for finals... so just give him a second before you decide to ruin a reputation :)

OP
L

LoneGman

Pfffttt! I haven't jumped to any conclusions yet folks, don't worry. ;) I'll just bide my time... Not a big deal, really. :) Thanks for all the great words of wisdom! I'll keep you all posted once I get my hands on it, and can wash my hands of the PC world, once and for all. (at home, at least) :p

-- Michael Bankston, AKA "LowGman"

OP
U

Uni

u havnt paid anything yet im assuming...

just wait and see. There is no formal way of repremanding this guy, as evry1 stated several times... if after a week or 2 he hasn't surfaced start posting...

Uni/.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.