• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

For those who use both pc's and macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Were not arguing that Microsoft is an evil company, they still do alot of good for the community, just the products they create, are well.. junk. Though, I think they should stick with the console, i own the xbox, and i have to say... its beautiful for Halo.

www.bungie.net for information on Halo (Myth, Myth2, Oni, halo2)

I cannot stand M$ office, or any of their office apps... they all expect me to do things I don't want. Sigh* ide rather have just a regular text application but AppleWorks seems to be fairly good at not doing anything for me.

95% of the market WOULD NOT buy M$ because its cheaper. But 92% would. Think of it like this, someone buys a computer because its cheap. They find out its kinda crappy, but they already spent this much money in it. So they justify it buy buying more. Its called the buyers regret fallacy, people are dumb as bricks they think that if they buy something poor or invest in a down hill product it would be better, cheaper, or farther ahead to just stay in it, rather than just starting over.

I do not really think its mac fanatics bashing the competition with out a solid evidence. It really is the PC world bashing the Mac world and we defend ourselves. **** we have 95% of the world against us. Only with Linux as an ally who actually understand our UNIX core. To be honest I know that Mac would be nothing with out M$. I mean really... they are why mac is so great... (im talking about mac having to create a perfect machine to even get a little money) If M$ wasnt so crappy and didnt have 95% of the market mac would never even dream of creating a machine better, and that would be the end of that chapter.

Reaction score
Halo and Office

Just a few notes on the above posters comments on Halo and Office on Windows.
Halo was originally developed by Bungie to be a Mac only game. Microsoft Bought them out and made Halo Xbox Exclusive then brought out the XP version much later.
Windows XP does not come with Office. You have to purchase it seperate at something like $450.00.
FrontPage is not a good Web tool. It is for beginners who do not know how to make web pages. It riddles web pages with all sorts of IE specific Headers.
Outlook Although I must use it for Work Is very unstable. Constant crashes and bloated.
I really only like Word and Excel out of the whole suite.
I don't even use Office on my home PC. I use Open Office.org.

I do not have a Mac yet. I can't wait to dump Windows. Although XP is the most stable version Microsoft has ever had. I still have issues and reformat at least 2 times a year to clean out all the crap that gets put in the registry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Not only is Office sold apart from Windows, but also none of the Windows built-in texteditors (Notepad and Wordpad) can open a MS Word document.
Intersting enough, Mac OS X's built-in TextEdit can read, edit and save in MS Word format...without the need of MS Word or MS Office.
Outlook and Internet Explorer should simply not be used, neither on Windows nor on a Mac. Why? Well, simply for security reasons...
At work, I have to use Windows because of software compatibilities (AutoCAD, to name just one). And we use Mozilla as Browser and Emailclient. IE and Outlook are strictly forbidden.
If a webpage can't be viewed with Mozilla, it is not WWW-compliant (like lots of Frontpage-created sites), and for that is not worth visiting.
OpenOffice is fine on Windows (except incompatibilities with Excel macros) and Linux, but I tried in on my Mac, and it just simply sucks. It's running under X11, not Aqua-native, that means too slow and too instable. I hope that this will improve soon.
I was (and still am) working a lot on Windows, knowing all of the MS OSes (starting from DOS to XP) I can tell WinXP is the best Windows. But still way too far away from the best OS. It still carries some old luggage (just one word: registry!!) that keeps it from being really stable and still needs reinstalling every now and then. I personnally prefer Mac OS X, for the way it looks, the way it works, it's stability. And I don't blame or bash any Windows user, as I was one myself, and still partly am. But I like and prefer my Mac over any Windows machine, no matter what hardware's inside. And to be honest of all the Windows user I know, there is not a single one that doesn't complain about it...

And to the Xbox: I use it for gaming and for that, it is just geat.
Isn't it funny though that the Developper hardware for the future Xbox 2 is a PowerMac G5? Running a special NT-kernel (Windows NT existed also for PowerPC processors)...a top-of-the-line Apple running a 10 year old MS OS to develop games for a soon-to-come game console... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Boots Redhat...
PSU Dies!

***!

M

Matt

Office is a must for every user of Windows and Mac OS. If Microsoft stopped supplying their software for Mac all of a sudden one day, Apples computer market would wither and die.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Matt said:
Office is a must for every user of Windows and Mac OS. If Microsoft stopped supplying their software for Mac all of a sudden one day, Apples computer market would wither and die.

Not entirely true Matt. There is a percentage of users who refuse to use M$ products, others have no need for it. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.