Can't choose which folder to save in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4
Possible dumb question coming but gotta ask----

Every time I try to save something, for example a word file or a pdf, but also when saving a webpage there is the drop down box which lets me select where I want to save it. It has desktop, document and recent places etcetera.

But is there no way to browse for the folder I want to save it in? I'm constantly having to save things to the desktop and then drag stuff to the right folder.... which is no big deal really, it just seems strangely poor design for Mac. If it was windows I wouldn't be surprised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You need to click the down-arrow on the right of the file name to expand the dialog box. See attached:

Picture 1.png

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    66 KB · Views: 49
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
^-- I never understood the logic behind that.

I mean, sure, sometimes, when it comes to UI, "less is better."

But for something like saving, it's not like seeing folders will confuse the heck out of users.
If anything, that little button with an arrow pointing downward is confusing more than anything.
I mean, if you just look at it, would you have any idea what that button does? (if you notice it at all, that is)
I remember that I've had to tell a few of my friends, "you have to press that little button thinggy." To me, that shows how unintuitive that is.

Heck, you see the folders in the Open dialogs, so why make the Save dialogs any different?

</random rant>

(note: Actually, I noticed that Windows Vista's Open dialogs hide the folders by default now as well.
In MY opinion, that was one of the worse Mac OS X "features" to "borrow.")

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Quit your whining :) You only have to click it once. The next time it'll be expanded already.

I agree with you. It's probably for the real basic home user. "It goes in documents" done, or "It goes in music" done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.