apple care:renew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd
i got my mbp and also purchased the apple care with it, and so far ive had no problems with my machine and it works GREAT! i do plan on keeping this laptop for quite sometime and was wondering if i can renew my apple care when it is going to expire.

Reaction score
No. If that were so, you could extend it forever, thus claiming a ten year old computer to be covered by a warranty. Apple is willing to provide a 3-year-warranty if you pay them. But not more.

Source: Apple.com

Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime?

You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period. Your eligibility for coverage under the AppleCare Protection Plan starts from your hardware purchase date. Apple strongly recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple product to maximize the additional benefits provided under the plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
No. If that were so, you could extend it forever, thus claiming a ten year old computer to be covered by a warranty. Apple is willing to provide a 3-year-warranty if you pay them. But not more.

You make it sound so far fetched, but almost all the retail companies out there offer warranty renewal. Most of them up to two or three year extensions on the original two to three year periods.

I even got a notice one time from CompUSA about a computer I purchased from them two years before, asking whether I would like to purchase an extended warranty for it. Mind you, I had never purchased a warranty for that computer in the first place!

Apple wouldn't need to extend it forever. It would make sense for them to allow only one extension, maybe even for just one year, after the original three year applecare expires. I'm not familiar with any of their policies on this though. They would have to charge a pretty penny though as the rate of defective laptops significantly increases after that three year cut-point.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
as yogi stated Apple does not offer extentions on Apple Care.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.