Very annoyed with Apple.....

Reaction score
I have had my MBP for about 9 months now. I have purchased the extended apple care, so it warrantied till like 2009. I have had NUMEROUS problems with this thing and have waited till Im out of school for the semester to report them to Apple. So far I have had:

1. Internal HDD crap out suddenly, I lost EVERYTHING
2. The new Internal HDD I got under warranty clicks again and is noisier than any other laptop I've ever owned. I can hear it from another room.
3. My only FireWire 400 port is DEAD. I've hooked 3 different mac compatible external HDD's to it, and no go.
4. I get this irratible scratchy noise from the center of my MBP when I first turn it on.
5. The hinges are so loose that the screen wobbles when I type
6. I have a bulge from the battery "issues" causing my MBP not to sit flush
7. It shuts off on its own whenver it reaches like 30% battery left
8. The battery sometimes isn't even recognized.
9. When its turned on with less than 30% battery power left, it continues to read "calculating" so I never know how much battery I have before it dies

So far thats all I can remember at the moment. Are these things liable to get a new machine? I have babied this laptop since the day I bought it brand new from the Apple Store Online. Never dropped and rarely moved from my desk. All software/hardware updates have always been properly installed and any work done to it was from an Apple Store here in town. I dont dare send this thing in to get each individual problem looked at, because Im afraid I'll get the run around. I need suggestions people. I love Apple computers and this has been by far the best one I've owned yet, but I didn't pay nearly 3 grand for a compute that just "works". Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated...Thanks!!!

Dallas

Reaction score
If it's under Applecare warranty why would you hold onto it and not send it in for repair/replacement? Some of those issues you've mentioned cannot be fixed yourself. Warranty is there for a reason and you shouldn't get the runaround.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I dont dare send this thing in to get each individual problem looked at, because Im afraid I'll get the run around.
Are you concerned about getting the run around at the store or from the company? If you have AppleCare, I'd definitely call them up! If you just have the regular warranty, you could email Apple your list of issues. Man, I feel for you. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
why get the warantee if you dont want to use it????????

just call apple and send the thing in!
-chris

OP
G
Reaction score
I havn't sent the thing in yet because I cant afford to be without my computer for a week during college. I get done with finals this week so I will definately be hitting the problems hard come the end of the week. OHHHHH I will definately be using the warranty to its full extent. I feel as though I should just get a new unit, we'll see if Apple agrees or not.....

I feel as though I would get the runaround at either place. The first time I called in to Apple Care, they sent me the box to send it in...yadda, yadda, yadda. When I was on the phone with them I told them about the HDD issues being noisy, but then after mentioning the other 8 problems, the rep COULDNT guarantee they would look at those ones or even attempt to fix them. Why? Do they only fix one problem at a time? So I didn't even bother sending it in. This was about 3 weeks ago. I thought I would just save the box till the semester was over.

I took it to an Apple Store here in town to get the HDD replaced the first time and even they gave me the cold shoulder when I told em about the other problems. They replaced the HDD and sent me on my way. Basically saying nothing at all about what I should do about the other 8 problems. So...should I get on the phone with Apple again or take it in to the local store? Im open to suggestions to anybody who has dealt with issues with thier MBP. Thanks for the replies.

Dallas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
It's a PITA but I would probably go through it one problem at a time. This way, after three of those problems have been documented and addressed, each their own case, then you've got yourself a guaranteed lemon and are entitled to a new unit.

Reaction score
With all those issues they should really give you a new one.

OP
G
Reaction score
It's a PITA but I would probably go through it one problem at a time. This way, after three of those problems have been documented and addressed, each their own case, then you've got yourself a guaranteed lemon and are entitled to a new unit.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. If I take the time to send it in or take it to an Apple Store for at least a couple of the problems individually, it will show that I've had numerous problems with it and there will be evidence of it. But then again, that could take weeks or months...ugh. I'll guess I'll do what I have to do.

I really dont "hate" Apple at all. I grew up on Mac's and I love em. I just think I got a bad one out of the bunch. It happens I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Don't take no for an answer...get a new one from them. Yours was obviously built on a Friday afternoon after a few beers, pizza, and bourbon.

OP
G
Reaction score

Thanks for the insight, I think I've read that post before. I will however, as stated above, NOT take no for an answer. Frankly, I dont really care what I have to do to get this done. I believe I have reasonable ground to request a new unit, either via Apple Store here in town or endless to Apple themselves. Again, I have Apple Care till 2009, so they will be dealing with me till then if need be. I have been patient enough and was very polite and a non-disgruntled customer in my previous experiences with them, so there is no reason for them to be hasty with me. Hopefully, it will be easier then it seems. Whatever the case, they will not be getting rid of me very easily....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
sorry to hear what has happened to your machine.

i would take it into and apple store with that list and get them to do something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 16g iPhone 3g, 30g iPod classic
that is bad luck if i've ever heard it. APP should definitely cover all of those problems. sorry to hear that!

Reaction score
No Replacement

Unfortunatly Apple is very likely NOT going to replace your computer. Apple will only replace computers if you have hardware failure and report it in the first 15 or 30 days of purchase(cant remember which one), or if you have completed multiple repairs(usually at least three) with no long gaps between the repairs. :'(

Apple is very strict about their replacement policy, but sending the MBP in to the depot usually will fix most issues. Although i agree is is better to work with one issue at a time.

MacMike
Somewhere in Florida

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.