Switcher not yet but boy oh boy it's close.

Reaction score
First post here, excusse my ignorance....:Smirk:

Reason for the 'Q s' is that I'm thinking of moving over to a Mac, I won't go through M$illions of reasons why here... Unless asked.

Does anyone use Firefox through OS X or are you all happy with the browser that comes with the Mac? I like Firefox and am used to it, plus it seems to be pretty compatible with all those M$ friendly sites, so does safari have any compatibility issues?

OK sorry but looking at spending a grand on a machine that I want the whole family to use, and should last for some time means you want as many facts as possible. And there was a clue in the statement as to my next question, I have gone through the Apple site (and others) and couldn't find, yes probably there but I couldn't find the answer, information about multiple users on a Mac. Easy to set up do you have administrators etc etc....??

Now office type apps, I'm currently converting (slowly) to openoffice and I see that it is available for OS X does anyone here use it and are you happy with it performance compatibility etc etc?

Now I'm thinking that the Macbook that I go for is going to be a desktop replacement, I play a few games on my PC but nothing I won't miss, and I'm sure I'll find macworld games that will suit, my kids will probably moan about the loss of SIMS but hey lifes a b/tch and then you die!
So do you think my expectations are high making the macbook (pro) ? a desktop replacement?
I am a bit of a fiddler and like upgrading, but with M$ os's that usually gets me in trouble. Any thought's.?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Reaction score
Does anyone use Firefox through OS X. . . .
I use Firefox almost exclusively, right now with 18 extensions and a tweaked user.js file so I can stop going into about:config with every update.
. . . I couldn't find the answer, information about multiple users on a Mac. Easy to set up do you have administrators etc etc....??
Apple makes it easy with Fast User Switching. That link is to an Apple page, but if you punch the phrase into a search engine you'll be swamped. One thing that might not be mentioned, however, is that if two or more people are logged on, the machine's RAM carries the freight of all the open applications. Some people forget this.
I'm currently converting (slowly) to openoffice and I see that it is available for OS X does anyone here use it and are you happy with it performance compatibility etc etc?
Check out NeoOffice. It has a Mac interface. I don't use it, so someone who does could tell you their experience. Same thing with laptops, unfortunately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Unless you absolutely need a laptop, I'd say get the imac or the mac mini. If your whole family is going to use it, it seems to me that it would better suit your families needs and be a more stable machine. Just my two cents though.

And here's a site with a ton of games for mac. You can still play the sims. There is a mac version.

http://www.aspyr.com/

OP
Gazmaz
Reaction score
So as expected and as I'm sure you guys get fed up of repeating a lot of stuff which is used in the M$ world (apart from some specific M$ apps) can be used equally in the OS X world.
The reason I asked the Q about Firefox was when I first started using it, and went onto the BBC site, (I'm based in the UK if you hadn't already guessed), I had a load of updates to Firefox to get some of the BBC radio and vid clips to work.
I was searching trough the Leapard part of the Mac Site so didn't dig hard enough for the user switching page. We use users in XP mainly not to leave lots of apps running but so my other family members don't load something they shouldn't and so they can set up there own Icons desktops etc, so not too many worries about hidden ram usage.
neoOFFICE seems to be based on openoffice and seems to be as compatible, so it would seem they should be no worries.

I already knew about the SIMS for Mac, but they are not going to be best pleased if all there current setting's are lost, I don't play it, but they have families and neighborhoods built, and I'm sure although not certain they'd have to start again.

They and I use occasionally MSN, I assume you cannot talk to someone on MSN using ichat, I'm guessing that both have to be using the same chat app?

As for a laptop Vs Desktop, we were currently given an older laptop that is being used more around the house than the desktop is being used, hence my laptop conversion.

Having said that I've also been thinking about setting up a "quiet" media machine and that will stay put near the TV, anybody here use a Mac for multi media use?

Reaction score
Forget the laptop - go get a 20" iMac; this is more bangs per buck and you and your family will love it.

Colin :)

OP
Gazmaz
Reaction score
Come on I need more than you and your family will love it, the problem I have is that I love being mobile!
Ah OK so I change to a iMac and buy a cheap Dell! And put OS X on that possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Gazmaz...Welcome.
I have a Mac Book Pro 17". I have alsways had desktop PC's except recently bought a laptop for work....bugger gave e a laptop after started, so now my daughter had very nice Win laptop.

I was lloking for something else though. Lots of research later, I knew it had to be a Mac. So Mac it was, and an Intel Mac at that.

Like to spend time working alone in the study. But also like to be out in front of the TV with the family at times. Mac Book Pro filled the specs I needed. It is fast, portable, and 17" screen large enough for me now and an external HDD takes care of extra strorage space. Funny how 120 gig is now just enough. It was 40 meg when I first startedin PC's. When I can afford it, an Apple 23" cinema display will be on order for the study when I sit in there. I think my MBP can run it.....I hope. Can It?????? answer me please someone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Come on I need more than you and your family will love it, the problem I have is that I love being mobile!
Ah OK so I change to a iMac and buy a cheap Dell! And put OS X on that possible?

Hey Gazmaz, welcome to the forum!!

I had the same doubts as you, until I decided to switch, about 2 months ago.

Big question was...mobility or desktop??

So I went for both!

I've purchased a 15" MBP, a Samsung 20" LCD 206BW monitor, and wireless keyboard and mightymouse from apple.

My setup is just charming. Besides, I can't live anymore without 2 screens. It's so useful!! My 20" monitor is may main screen (where I let the Dock) and my macbook sits there as an extended screen!

So nice!

About you MSN issue...there's MSN for Mac, but I do not recommend.

I like best Adium X....it adds your MSN contacts as well as ICQ, YAHOO, etc.

In fact, there's a way to talk to MSN users through iChat....but we can get to that as soon as you switch ;D

Regards!

Reaction score
I've purchased a 15" MBP, a Samsung 20" LCD 206BW monitor, and wireless keyboard and mightymouse from apple.

This is what I would opt for if given the either/or choice.

Using two screens simultaneously is incredibly useful especially when working with multiple programs.

Also, the Intel Macs have no issues with running Firefox. While Safari is a little bit faster across the board, the difference isn't noticeable (a few seconds here and there), unless you time it with a stopwatch.

OP
Gazmaz
Reaction score
And I thought it was going to be confusing enough to turn into MacGazmaz, now I have to think about which Mac to go to, ;D

I think I'll still end up going for the Laptop first I have a LG 17" screen which will eventually be upgraded to a larger screen and docking to that and a keyboard/mouse is what I'll start out with first. Then if I extend to a setup using the 27" LG TV and some Mac for multimedia stuff then all well and good.

Sounds like there's an MSN workround so it all gets better and better.
Two screens multiple programs yeah my missus laughs at the fact that I sometimes sit in front of three screens, work laptop, home desktop and the home laptop we have, so it would mean a more slim line setup but still lots of apps open, we are sad aren't we!
Oh I mentioned the 27" LG screen Maddog, well the old 1.6Ghz 512 mb IBM looks great on it I'm sure you MBP will look fantastic! IMO....
Now what's all this about only a single mouse button what's all that about?

Reaction score
Now what's all this about only a single mouse button what's all that about?
I've had a wireless three-button Logitech since System 9.

The Mighty Mouse is multi-button, and the MacBook trackpads can be set in the Keyboard and Mouse preferences for two-finger-tap right clicks. As well, holding down the Control key while left clicking gives you a right click.

Reaction score
If your kids are worried about losing their Sims data, you can copy over the Neighbourhoods folder into the MAC once Sims is installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83
Just my 2 cents:

NeoOffice... Works great, but is a memory HOG, you really need to have 2 gb of ram if you want to use it with some other programs running simultanous.

MacBook... Can really recommend it! It´s also great to be able to move it with ease to the livingroom and connect it to the HDTV (DVI->HDMI) and enjoy hi-def stuff (including 5.1 surround!)

Mouse... Apple is great with many things, but the mouse is so-so, I would recommend the M$ Intellimouse Explorer.

Good luck! You won´t regret it!

OP
Gazmaz
Reaction score
So the SIMS setup files and save files are same format it's just the loading of the program into the various OP system that's different.
Gets better and better,
Cheers guys I'll have to save up my pennies now!
;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.