Question about MacBook Video RAM upgrade

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a potential switcher from Windows to Mac. I'm thinking of buying a MacBook (not the Pro version). The store here only has 13.5" models with 64mb of Video RAM. Can the Video RAM be increased later on or can a video card in a MacBook be replaced with a better one? or am I stuck forever with what comes with it?

Thanks, this site and it's people are great!:*

M

MacHeadCase

No. From Apple's website, the MacBook's video RAM is:

Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory

and you can't modify that. So basically it means you do not have a dedicated video card like the MBP has and you upgrade later either. Me thinks the Intel GMA 950 is soldered to the logic board.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. So what if I went with the lowest-end MacBook Pro? Could I upgrade that later? I just don't have the funds to go with a custom model from Apple. I have to buy what's on the shelf at my local retailer since I have a credit card there and can pay in installments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Thanks for the quick response. So what if I went with the lowest-end MacBook Pro? Could I upgrade that later?

You cannot upgrade the video cards on Apple laptops...nor many other laptops for that matter, except for the really high end gaming ones.

The only difference between the lower end MBP and the higher end ones is the video RAM (128MB vs 256MB). But to be honest, unless you're running programs that specifically require that extra video RAM, your really won't notice the difference between the two.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.