PC Hibernation vs Mac Sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
So your MBP has never gone into Deep Sleep?? (You never saw that bar when re-opening?)

Nope. It usually sleeps overnight, too, I've never seen that bar.

So how exactly is Safe Sleep triggered under normal circumstances?

I'm not sure - I get the impression it won't ever be triggered unless those terminal commands are run.

And what are these hacks you speak of?

Those terminal commands, and fiddling around in NVRAM, unless I'm missing something - not exactly a user-friendly way of enabling it. I'd prefer a Deep Sleep option when you press the power button, or to configure it to deep sleep when the lid closes.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Wow that cool, i never knew you could leave your mac on for days, weeks etc...i thought it would get to hot or something....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Nice.

That article links to this one, which explains Safe Sleep and how it turns on normally (without the Terminal stuff).

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2006/10/safesleep/index.php

Basically, when you close the lid, it does Sleep AND Safe Sleep, in a manner of speaking.

It goes to Sleep BUT also saves everything to the RAM.

If you don't lose power before re-opening the power, it'll just wake from Sleep normally.

If you DO lose power, then it'll load the saved session from the RAM.

I guess that's why some people have never seen that "wake up from Safe Sleep" bar.

Reaction score
RAM is wiped when power is lost. Hence power still needed for Sleep. If you lose power you're not getting anyhitng from RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
D'oh! To the HD, I meant. :Sleeping:

It goes to Sleep BUT also saves everything from the RAM to the HD.

If you don't lose power before re-opening the power, it'll just wake from Sleep normally.

If you DO lose power, then it'll load the saved session from the HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.