Advice For An External DVD Burner

Reaction score
hi there. i've had my mac mini for almost a month now and couldn't be happier, but i wish i would have bought it with a superdrive (just didn't have the money then). can anyone recommend an external dvd burner? everyone i look at online says they are for pc only and not mac. thanks alot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Buy THIS.

Put it in THIS.

I have 2, they rock. They are FW only though....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" IMac 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo
What does FW mean? Since I am new to the Mac scene, will this allow me to copy a DVD and burn it from the Superdrive on my Imac? Basically copy while burning? The superdrive doesn't exactly wow me with it's burning capabilities

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, sorry, it's FirwWire.

You'll need to use MacTheRipper (MTR) to copy the DVD to your Hard Drive and then TOAST to rip it back to a DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What does FW mean?
Like USB, Firewire is a connector specification also known as iLink from Sony or the proper spec name of IEEE-1394. Invented by Apple, they use the name Firewire. There are two speeds. The original 400MBs (IEEE-1394a) and the newer less popular 800MBs (IEEE-1394b). I'm sure you can fine more info on Wikipedia or else where if you need details.

You could by a faster external DVD writing and get a performance boost over you internal iMac one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like USB, Firewire is a connector specification also known as iLink from Sony or the proper spec name of IEEE-1394. Invented by Apple, they use the name Firewire. There are two speeds. The original 400MBs (IEEE-1394a) and the newer less popular 800MBs (IEEE-1394b). I'm sure you can fine more info on Wikipedia or else where if you need details.

You could by a faster external DVD writing and get a performance boost over you internal iMac one.

Well I knew what Fireware was, but I didn't catch on to the abbreviation. So I guess running a 2nd DVD/RW drive from the firewire wouldn't allow me to copy and write at the same time using both drives? I know I could do it on my PC, since it had a DVD/RW drive and a DVD-rom drive.

If that doesn't work, does running a DVD/RW drive over firewire cause any problems with programs as far as burning or does it show up as a regular drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, sorry, it's FirwWire.

You'll need to use MacTheRipper (MTR) to copy the DVD to your Hard Drive and then TOAST to rip it back to a DVD.

Do those programs come with the mac? Are they freeware, or do I have to "purchase" them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MTR is freeware, Toast is, IIRC, about $79 or so. Neither comes with the Mac.

It's not FW that would keep you from doing it specifically. There is not an all in one solution, that I know of, that will allow you to just strait copy a Movie on a Mac. Roxios Popcorn will do it, but it won't work with the CSS encryption pretty much every DVD has these days so you have to resort to what I described.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MTR is freeware, Toast is, IIRC, about $79 or so. Neither comes with the Mac.

It's not FW that would keep you from doing it specifically. There is not an all in one solution, that I know of, that will allow you to just strait copy a Movie on a Mac. Roxios Popcorn will do it, but it won't work with the CSS encryption pretty much every DVD has these days so you have to resort to what I described.

I can tell I am going to miss my PC already :lol:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I don't know if I would say you'll miss it, but given the sheer mass of programs for the PC, this sort of thing is bound to happen. What you find on the Mac side is one or two app that are VERY good at what they do, as opposed to 25 on the PC side, all of which are mediocre at best.

Reaction score
I tried using an internal dvd burner (BenQ 1640) in an external enclosure, but that was not too successful, so I bought an external drive (LG E10L) which has worked fine.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I can tell I am going to miss my PC already :lol:

For this, yep you will miss your PC. The only thing I have not found viable alternatives for.

If all you are looking for is to be able to watch a DVD while you're away from home base and without the need to burn it to disk - try Drive-in.

Made by Flip4Mac folks, it will not be freeware, but the beta testing has been extended and no mention on their site for how long at this time.
It creates a complete backup of the disk without breaking the encryption. Thus a 7GB disk will be 7GB which will limit the # of movies you can carry around with you depending on your drive space. The beta period which was to have been up 5/1 has been extended with no mention at this time as to how long. So far have only found 1 disk that the program has had problems with and believe they are working on that particular issue prior to final release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be quite honest, without incriminating myself, I burn alot of DVD's :) Will that MTR program allow me to delete the crap off a DVD that I don't want (i.e trailers,extras) and allow me to copy just the movie is does it only do 1:1 copies?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
Thomas I am using an internal LG DVD burner in a case connected via usb that used to be connected to my windos pc; toast as burning software and the only software I miss from windos is anydvd. I have no speed troubles and the drive is working perfectly. It can be used in an "on the fly" setup with the internal drive. I only use firewire to import dv video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.