Quicksilver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac/ 2.16GHz/ 2 GB/ 500 GB HDD/ NVIDIA 7600
I've seen this mentioned in a few threads. What is this Quicksilver you speak of?

Reaction score
To save time; check out this OVERVIEW. Hope that helps. I'm new to mac and I've downloaded QS, I have yet to use it just because I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Althoug I use it mainly as a application launcher, I could't live without it!

Just dowload and give it a try! You will love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Ok, i've just fired up quicksilver for the 2nd time and going to give it a shot. My question is, i already have a fair number of background apps running, Sizzling Keys for iTunes, growl, Azureus ticking over for days at a time, Skype always on. I fear my Mac get slow, with all this. Am i right to be concerned?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Quicksilver is not going to "slow" your mac anywhere near what downloads from Azureus 24/7 will.... Even then, depending on how much RAM you have.. I highly doubt you'll notice any slow down.

If you feel your mac is slowing... check Applications>>>Utilities Folder>>>Disk Utility.app to see what is eating RAM.

IMO Quicksilver is one of the most useful and used Apps available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Ok, i've just fired up quicksilver for the 2nd time and going to give it a shot. My question is, i already have a fair number of background apps running, Sizzling Keys for iTunes, growl, Azureus ticking over for days at a time, Skype always on. I fear my Mac get slow, with all this. Am i right to be concerned?

Quicksilver uses a negligible amount of CPU and has a very tiny RAM footprint. Also, ditch Azureus. Get Transmission. It's much more lightweight than Azureus, and it has relatively robust features with a clean and simple interface :)

OP
k1ngslayer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac/ 2.16GHz/ 2 GB/ 500 GB HDD/ NVIDIA 7600
So, I downloaded Quicksilver, and as a new mac owner (3 days now), I can say that it is without a doubt a must have; it is already such an integral part of my mac use that I don't even realize I'm using the hotkeys-awesomesauce.

Thanks for the great recommendation!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
quicksilver is also a name for one of the later models of the PowerMac g4...although im sure thats not what u meant. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
So, I downloaded Quicksilver, and as a new mac owner (3 days now), I can say that it is without a doubt a must have; it is already such an integral part of my mac use that I don't even realize I'm using the hotkeys-awesomesauce.

Thanks for the great recommendation!

Agreed!! The things it can do if you really get into it are amazing.

BTW... Welcome to the forums, and congrats on the Mac (and QS):D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
If you feel your mac is slowing... check Applications>>>Utilities Folder>>>Disk Utility.app to see what is eating RAM.

Ride,

Are you sure it's in the disk utility?? I didn't find anything that would give me that info.

Sure..I'm a newbie LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Quicksilver is not going to "slow" your mac anywhere near what downloads from Azureus 24/7 will.... Even then, depending on how much RAM you have.. I highly doubt you'll notice any slow down.

IMO Quicksilver is one of the most useful and used Apps available.

Cheers for that. I've spent the eve getting friendly with QS & yep, it's astonishing! I've already realised I can start to do away with other stuff, like sizzling keys, and growl tunes, etc
Couldn't find anything in Disk Utility to check RAM usage though.
Sim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
OOPS... I meant Activity Monitor... SORRY!

Applications>>>Utilities Folder>>> Activity Monitor

ActivityMonitor.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's all that Virtual memory utilization?

How do I read these number?

PS: Safari is my winner righ now....80MB of Real Memory...vs 60MB from Camino....never realized that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Virtual Memory is basically what the program would use if it ran out of real RAM... It would then use the space on the HD (much slower) as Virtual RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.