• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't delete transitions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
On occasion, there have been times, usualy when MBP has been operational for some time and I have a few pages open, that it goes all funny and I can't type, and the letter keys simply type random numbers, so if happened as I was typing this post, it would sudde2083962011030 and I would have to restart the computer to get things back to normal.

However, this doesn't work for the latest i-movie glitch which doesn't allow me to delete unwanted transitions. I just get that annoying sound which tells you you can't do it.

There's many many many clips in the pane but it's only a music video, albeit one which I have been working on for a good fortnight on and off.

Any ideas what could be causing it or what to suggest?

My fan tray doesn't work any more either, I hope that doesn't make problems... I usually have the AC on when working.

Reaction score
Hi Cam,

This is a difficult one .... you have a few different problems that may or may not be related to one single issue.

Individually, each issue may be able to be resolved but it is tricky to pin them all down to any one thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've had a few issues with your MBP?

I don't know what to say about the keyboard playing up, I googled around and couldn't find anything but then again, I was trying to seek answers to a "hard to paraphrase" issue.

With iMovie, I'd ask what you have installed lately and if you've ran a maintenance app like OnyX or Main Menu etc. If you're working on a project be sure to save it frequently. I just had a look at iMovie and added a couple of Transitions. Then I clicked on one to highlight it and right-clicked and selected "Select Similiar Clips" from the contextual menu. This selection caused all the transitions to become selected and I hit the Delete button and the Transitions went up in a puff of smoke.

You mention that you receive a warning System Sound telling you that you can't delete the Transitions. So, from this I'm guessing you can select a Transition but when you hit the Delete key - you hear the warning sound? So you can add Transitions, but can't delete them ... how about if you select a Transition and then right-click and choose 'Clear' from the menu?

Have you tried creating a new user account and testing iMovie out there?

As for the last issue; I don't know what a fan tray is, I'm sorry .... but when you say you have the AC on, do you mean your MBP is connected to the mains?

I'm sorry I can't be any more help Cam .... but it must frustrate you no end when the keyboard goes awry!

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
It is fustrating yes! Thanks again, I was waiting for your arrival.
I AM able to put a clip back in the window pane which has transitions each side which auto deletes them, you know 'REMOVING THIS CLIP WILL DELETE AT LEAST ONE TRANSITION' so I will have to do it that way which will be a pain.

I have had a few glitches yes, and the warranty will be up soon as I've had it nearly a year - and I'm in a remote part of the Phillipines so it's reasonabl;y safe to say there's no Apple Store nearby.

I'll try choosing 'clear' from the menu tomorrow and get back to you.

Reaction score
Delete

Select the transition, go to the Mark category on the menu. Click delete.

On occasion, there have been times, usualy when MBP has been operational for some time and I have a few pages open, that it goes all funny and I can't type, and the letter keys simply type random numbers, so if happened as I was typing this post, it would sudde2083962011030 and I would have to restart the computer to get things back to normal.

However, this doesn't work for the latest i-movie glitch which doesn't allow me to delete unwanted transitions. I just get that annoying sound which tells you you can't do it.

There's many many many clips in the pane but it's only a music video, albeit one which I have been working on for a good fortnight on and off.

Any ideas what could be causing it or what to suggest?

My fan tray doesn't work any more either, I hope that doesn't make problems... I usually have the AC on when working.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@rhgraphics

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

Thank you for your helpful post.

Unfortunately, as this thread is over 9 years old, I suspect that it won't get many views and that the OP has either solved the issue or given up:)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.