Trouble Using various online programs

Reaction score
Hey all, I just found these forums recently and signed up.

I bought a Mac Pro recently. I use them at work all the time so i figured I would get one, however Im still fairly new to OSX.

I've been having problems with Messenger and AIM. They wont connect. My internet seems to be working fine but those programs wont get online. Also I was trying a various torrent clients(Dont know if this is allowed, if it isnt please just erase it mods or let me know.) and I seemed to have te same problems with those, nothign transfers almost as if it isnt connected.

Anyways any help would be appreciated.

Oh also another thing, when I install something, how do i keep it from appearing on my desktop whenever I use it? Firefox does this to me, and when im done I have to Eject it from the Finder. This isnt a problem, but just kind of a pet peeve.

Thanks again everyone.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On the AIM and Messenger issue, not sure what is wrong there as both work here on every Mac in the house and every where I take my notebook macs and use other peoples internet.

On the Firefox issue, you are not installing it but launching the DMG Disc Image and running Firefox out of that. You download Firefox.dmg. You click on Firefox.dmg and it opens a window. That is the inside of the Disc Image. You then DRAG the FireFox application out of the open Disc Image and drop it in your Applications Folder on your Hard Drive. Then drop the open Disc Image in the trash. From then on open Applications and click on Firefox. You can drag a copy of it to the Dock also and launch it from there.

Hope what I said is clear and helps. If not let me know.

On your first question, do you have iChat and Messenger configured correctly? Do you have OSX's Firewall turned on? AIM for OSX really is not a well written program. I would recommend either you use iChat for AIM or get Adium as it will do AIM, MSN, ICQ, Yahoo and more.

OP
Dead_Pixels
Reaction score
I tried using the iChat, but it gave me the same problem, it wouldnt conenct in the end, where do I check the firewall settings?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I tried using the iChat, but it gave me the same problem, it wouldnt conenct in the end, where do I check the firewall settings?

Stock the Firewall is turned off. Open System Preferences and open Sharing and click on the Firewall tab. If it's turned off then that is not it.

Do you have a PC there and if so does AIM and Messenger work on the PC? Is your Mac hooked up Wired or Wireless?

OP
Dead_Pixels
Reaction score
Yeah I have my old PC, and those programs worked fine on it. im hooked up through an ethernet cable. And looks like the Firewall was turned off.

Woudl the HOST and PORT on AIM preferances have anything to do with it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I have my old PC, and those programs worked fine on it. im hooked up through an ethernet cable. And looks like the Firewall was turned off.

Woudl the HOST and PORT on AIM preferances have anything to do with it?

Here are my settings for AIM that work from iChat.

Picture 3.jpg

OP
Dead_Pixels
Reaction score
Cool I'll take a look at mine when I get home from work. Thanks a lot for the help i appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.