A thought to make Apple TV more versitile...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I got to thinking.... The Apple TV has RAM, a HD, a processor, and it can connect to a wireless router. Why not make it bluetooth enabled so someone can use it as an internet device with Safari? I think lots of people would like to have their own web tv sort of thing. With the bluetooth keyboard and mouse, one could be surfing the net sitting on their couch in front of their 42" LCD TV. It's really all there minus the programing to make it web friendly.
I would hand over my $300 in an instant if this was a feature. Maybe that's just me. Anyone else have thoughts??
Peace,
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Because that's not what Apple wants to market the AppleTV as. They simply want it to be the hub that connects iTunes to your TV. Apple is all about simplification. Having the AppleTV do too much will just confuse people, the exact opposite of what simplicity is meant to achieve.

Apple would much rather have you purchase a Mac Mini to do what you're asking. If you look at it from the company's perspective, that makes sense.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't necessarily find it very simple to go out and purchase the miniDVI to DVI adapter, a DVI to HDMI connector and a long HDMI cord to wrap around my apartment so I could use my TV as a secondary iMac screen. Plus, with all that extra hardware, there is going to be picture quality loss up the ying-yang.
But I can see where you're coming from. Maybe just buying a cheap core solo mac mini is way to go.
For now I will just connect my G3 iMac my surround sound system and listen to iTunes that way.
Thanks.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
it would be a gd idea. but as Kash said thats not what they want.

they want you to buy stuff from them (itunes) play it on their players (ipod and appletv) so they get money out of it.

Reaction score
You know if you have Tivo (I do, lol), you can listen to all your music, watch your videos and even browse through your files with a simple wireless adapter... It's going to be awhile before I make the plunge to AppleTV; it just doesnt have a large enough hard drive... I think it's 40 gb? That's retarded! I just don't understand what they were thinking by having such a freaking small capacity... But, I do know some have been said to upgraded... but I'd prefer not to have to mess with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
here is an idea also, make it so you don't need a HDTV for the friggin thing to work..

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't even have cable. I am not really a TV watcher. i got a set of HD rabbit ears and Netflix to keep me occupied.
I think the cable companies or someone is trying to make standard def. obsolete in a few years. No joke.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That someone would be the U.S. government. The FCC is requiring all cable companies to discontinue analog broadcasts by February 2009. Though a recent vote by the FCC has decided that local channels will still be able to be broadcast in analog form.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Off topic, I would love to know who left me a negative rep because I believe in peace not war.
Here's their comment:
"I think that sometimes you need to protect yourself if your countries peace is disturbed(911) so war will go towards peace"

1. How is that possible? Think about it, killing people does not create peace, only more hatred.
2. Were we at peace before 9/11? NO
Bryan
P.S. Quit abusing the REP system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Off topic, I would love to know who left me a negative rep because I believe in peace not war.
Here's their comment:
"I think that sometimes you need to protect yourself if your countries peace is disturbed(911) so war will go towards peace"

1. How is that possible? Think about it, killing people does not create peace, only more hatred.
2. Were we at peace before 9/11? NO
Bryan
P.S. Quit abusing the REP system.

if you feel you did not deserve the negative rep take it up with a mod. they will sort it out for you.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's cool. I don't need to be wasting the moderators time. I was just hoping the feedbacker would show their face here seeing they left the feedback from this thread. Guess not....
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2GHz CD 1 GB RAM 80 GB HD
They have that kind of product, mac mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
for $200 more than the AppleTV you can get a MacMini and connect that to the tv :)

MacMini+Cable to connect it the tv+wireless keyboard&mouse+EyeTV and youre set

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.