Mac Pro has odor problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Mac Pro is about a month old and my power supply unit has been changed twice because it smells like bad perfume when it's running. It really stinks. Does anyone else have this problem.
When this was discussed on Apple's forum the thread was locked and some of the messages were erased because there was talk of posssible harmful fumes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
if there is talk about possible harmful fumes, I would call apple right away and have them replace your power unit. From what I have heard you are the first person to have this problem, but i don't read the apple forums.

OP
M
Reaction score
if there is talk about possible harmful fumes, I would call apple right away and have them replace your power unit. From what I have heard you are the first person to have this problem, but i don't read the apple forums.

Actually 3 more Mac Pros that were set up by the same retailer had the same smell. Changing the power supply unit didn't correct the problem. All the new psu's smell.
After a while even the tech who worked on it wanted it out of his shop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
have you been to an apple store yet and talked to a "genius"? This would be your best bet in my opinion.

OP
M
Reaction score
have you been to an apple store yet and talked to a "genius"? This would be your best bet in my opinion.

Yep I did and the Genius said bad smells are cosmetic and I would have to pay for the psu change out. When I called Apple and told them what this genius said they appologized for his mistake. They are working with me to try and solve the problem. I'm having the work done at a factory authoized repair
dealer where I bought the unit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Have you tried using a different outlet? I know it sounds stupid, but I have had instances where a PC would be unstable on certain power outlets because the power wasn't smooth, or not enough, or whatever.

OP
M
Reaction score
Have you tried using a different outlet? I know it sounds stupid, but I have had instances where a PC would be unstable on certain power outlets because the power wasn't smooth, or not enough, or whatever.

Good thought but I've had on three different circuits. In fact the retailer had the same odors on 3 different machines at his shop.

Reaction score
smell

yes my Mac Pro really stinks too. I directed an external fan on my mac so the smell go in another direction, but it's really annoying. I thought it's gonna go away but after more then 2 month it's still smell bad that I can't stand it without using a fan. :(
Also I'm new to Mac and this machine give me a lot of disappointments :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Seems to be a smell in my room as a result of the Mac Pro. It's not that bad, certainly isn't a faulty smell.

OP
M
Reaction score
yes my Mac Pro really stinks too. I directed an external fan on my mac so the smell go in another direction, but it's really annoying. I thought it's gonna go away but after more then 2 month it's still smell bad that I can't stand it without using a fan. :(
Also I'm new to Mac and this machine give me a lot of disappointments :(
The smell is a pungent sweet odor sort of like some cheap heavy perfume. It's coming from top left hand side in the back (power suppy area). It's the strongest when you first turn it on. If any body wants the guy's name and number I'm working with at Apple let me know. He seems to be interested in getting it fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Our Mac Mini smells. But it's more like a rubber crossed with new car :)

Reaction score
This is strange.. My wife brought home two iBooks from work (she's a teacher) because she is building some multimedia stuff with the students and both iBooks just stink!! I keep bugging her about it because I thought it may have been from where they are being stored or something. But the smell is the same as described here.. It almost smells like a mix between body odor and cheap perfume.. Really hard to describe, but, it stinks up the entire house when she turns them on!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb
If the odor is as nasty as it sounds, I suspect that an electrolytic capacitor or a transformer in the power supply is failing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
TROLL ALERT... but seriously, call Apple and get a replacement if need be.

Reaction score
You could whisper "take a shower" to it. LOL.

Never heard of a smelly computer, maybe she's trying to impress you.

Reaction score
odor

well in addition that Mac Pro has an odor problem, it keeps crushing all the time. First I blame parallels, but now I think it might be a hardware. Yahh... I should call Apple store. :(

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
give it a bath as pictured here.

[disclaimer - do not immerse your electronics in water, especially when you are in it too.]

M

MacHeadCase

well in addition that Mac Pro has an odor problem, it keeps crushing all the time. First I blame parallels, but now I think it might be a hardware. Yahh... I should call Apple store. :(

Crushing? Oh my... :eek:

LOL

Joking. Run the Hardware Test then. It's on one of your DVDs that came with the Mac.

Reaction score
odor

Thanks dude! :Cool: I don't use much my mac pro at home. At work, I use PC (always was PC guy until Intel Mac arrived) and just too busy at the moment, yahh... I'll take care

Reaction score
I have the same smell on my Mac Pro (bought it in March 07). The smell reminds me of too much renuzit in a college dorm room (I have been out of school for 15 years...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.