Mac Pro has odor problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
You are correct Sir.
The Mac tech was just here and he took out the heat sinks and cleaned off the seal compound with alcohol (per your recommendation) resealed with Arctic Silver. Now it's running to burn off any residual odor.
The smell was definitely coming from the compound because the new heat sink he brought as a replacement had the same odor while it was still in the box. We didn't even use it.

Glad I could help. I had to change my username because other account quit working when I tried to change email address.:Grimmace:

Reaction score
Hi.

I've had my Mac Pro for about 90 days now. I had hoped that the fumes would dissipate over time, but they haven't, even after 3 months of daily use. And it's not just a matter of an unpleasant odor...my throat burns every time I'm in the room with the computer on. Now that the weather is changing, I can't leave my office window open, so it's time for action.

From all of the threads on this problem, it seems that the removal of the excess thermal compound is the most promising solution.
I've called tech support, and while the rep I spoke to hadn't personally received any calls on the matter, he confirmed this theory based on his years of computer maintenance. I will be covered under warranty to have an authorized repair center clean off the heat sinks.

Before I take it in and have to do without my computer for possibly several days, I wanted to check with those of you who have tried this approach. Did the removal of the compound actually solve the odor issue for you? Anything else I need to relay to the repair guys that might ensure a proper fix?

Thanks!

Fred

FWIW, my Mac Pro box says "Computer Assembled in USA."

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi.

I've had my Mac Pro for about 90 days now. I had hoped that the fumes would dissipate over time, but they haven't, even after 3 months of daily use. And it's not just a matter of an unpleasant odor...my throat burns every time I'm in the room with the computer on. Now that the weather is changing, I can't leave my office window open, so it's time for action.

From all of the threads on this problem, it seems that the removal of the excess thermal compound is the most promising solution.
I've called tech support, and while the rep I spoke to hadn't personally received any calls on the matter, he confirmed this theory based on his years of computer maintenance. I will be covered under warranty to have an authorized repair center clean off the heat sinks.

Before I take it in and have to do without my computer for possibly several days, I wanted to check with those of you who have tried this approach. Did the removal of the compound actually solve the odor issue for you? Anything else I need to relay to the repair guys that might ensure a proper fix?

Thanks!

Fred

FWIW, my Mac Pro box says "Computer Assembled in
USA."

It didn't help mine. It could be that the initial seal compound had oz-ode all over the board making it impossible to clean all the melted residue.

OP
M
Reaction score
No more stink bomb

Apple finally replaced my unit and there's no odor. It looks like they finally found a compound they doesn't smell when the processor heats it up. Even though it took a long time and a few replacements Apple always admitted there was a problem and never stopped trying to correct it. I guess that's why you pay a premium for their equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.