Mac Pro has odor problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
odor

To macpower

U did mention "If any body wants the guy's name and number I'm working with at Apple let me know." I think I need that guy number as I plan to fix this odor smell. I gives me headache (health hazard) even when I direct my external fan towards mac pro unit.

Thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
To macpower

U did mention "If any body wants the guy's name and number I'm working with at Apple let me know." I think I need that guy number as I plan to fix this odor smell. I gives me headache (health hazard) even when I direct my external fan towards mac pro unit.

Thanks!

His name is Justin. His no. is (800) 275-2273 (Apple Care). Hit 89 and his extension is 41412. He's a real helpful tech.

Reaction score
odor

Thank you macpower! I've brought back my unit to dealer (store). Last day was trying work on Mac few hours and got a headache coz of smell. I'll give them (dealer, store) Justin no if they not able to fix or locat the problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
My G5 keeps eating my Cheetos.

Anybody else had this problem?

Reaction score
last news from my technicians at work:
Computer parts which was produced in Asia was sprayed with chemical against the eggs of insects or bugs. Once parts get hot there is a possible harmful fumes. Working place must have good ventilation.
O well... it's ok for server room but not for personal computer under the desk.
What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Indeed, this is a professional computer. I've not had this problem even with cheap PC PSUs.

I have a very slight odor problem on mine, but I'm hoping this will burn off.

Reaction score
Hi powermac,

Did they actually get your computer fixed? I hope they did.

OP
M
Reaction score
They replaced it but it still stunk and it had kernel panics so they're repalcing that one and I'm waiting for my new one.

Reaction score
Wow, what a story... isn't a time to ask for money back? Since I got my first Mac (Mac Pro) the only things I had... problems. Never had this expirience with PC. In fact my few 7 - 8 years old PC's seems more reliable then new MacPro. By the way,my MacPro in dealers repair shop, second month now. I'm not taking it back until they fix it or replace the unit.
Regading Kernel panic message - I had too... The funny thinks U can't reboot it like on PC. My mac just didn't respond on it at all... few hours of waiting never help... I don't know.. I don't want Mac anymore! If was able to take my money back I would take them.:Angry:

Reaction score
Hi, I have my macpro since a week and I have the same horrible odor problem. I must use a big fan facing the power supply (which make a noise problem for this quiet computer.). It's really highly disappointing and I don't know if Apple take this problem seriously (reading this thread seems to be a NO).
Did someone find a solution (apart from fresh-water washing it) ?

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm on my forth one (besides the odor two of them had other problems) and it also stinks. Service now says the odor is coming from a seal or gasket on the optical drives right in front of the power supply. It should burn off in about two weeks if it runs constantly.
Well I'm on my second week with the case open and a fan blowing on it and it still smells like bad perfume. I'll see what happens in about a week or so.

Reaction score
Ok the tech guy is coming to change the PSU. We'll see...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 Core 3.0GHz, 16GB RAM, Dual DVD, 4 1TB Hard Drives (Hitachi), Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth
I am having the exact same problem! My 8 Core has a strange sweet smell that is coming from the power supply :-(

Reaction score
My Mac Pro smells funny (marijuana?). The power supply has been replaced twice, so it seems Apple can't find the problem. I can smell it when the system is rendering (CPU 400%).

M

MacHeadCase

See? We toldja Macs are packed full of power: they can even make the CPUs run at 400%. LOL

I think you smelled your Mac Pro a bit too much there, Zware Unit. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 Core 3.0GHz, 16GB RAM, Dual DVD, 4 1TB Hard Drives (Hitachi), Wi-Fi, Blue Tooth
See? We toldja Macs are packed full of power: they can even make the CPUs run at 400%. LOL

I think you smelled your Mac Pro a bit too much there, Zware Unit. ;)

Silly unhelpful remarks aside, there is a problem with the 8 core mac pros. I am sitting here typing this on one with the odor problem.

I do have multiple Mac Pros so I conducted a little experiment to see if I could get to the bottom of this. I swapped the PSU from a 4 core mac pro which does not have the smell and installed it into the smelly 8 core. Guess what? The smell is NOT coming from the PSU. My guess is it may be the fans or perhaps something on the motherboard. My investigation continues...

Smell aside, this 8 core mac pro is VERY stable.

Reaction score
Well,
I had a PC that smelled horrible.
But i found out that the cat sprayed on it.
So i had an excuse to get a mac.

B

bbarnette

You might try this. Pull the heatsinks off the processors and clean ALL the thermal compund off the processors and heatsinks with some rubbing alcohol. After doing this apply a small amount of thermal paste, I recommend Arctic Silver, to each processor and replace the heatsink. Apple uses entirely too much compound and this oozes out to the surround area and may cause the smell you are all experiencing. I have a 2.66 quad core mac pro and I have never experienced this smell. Hope this helps!

OP
M
Reaction score
You might try this. Pull the heatsinks off the processors and clean ALL the thermal compund off the processors and heatsinks with some rubbing alcohol. After doing this apply a small amount of thermal paste, I recommend Arctic Silver, to each processor and replace the heatsink. Apple uses entirely too much compound and this oozes out to the surround area and may cause the smell you are all experiencing. I have a 2.66 quad core mac pro and I have never experienced this smell. Hope this helps!

You are correct Sir.
The Mac tech was just here and he took out the heat sinks and cleaned off the seal compound with alcohol (per your recommendation) resealed with Arctic Silver. Now it's running to burn off any residual odor.
The smell was definitely coming from the compound because the new heat sink he brought as a replacement had the same odor while it was still in the box. We didn't even use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.