Mac user can't see my site

Reaction score
Here is a strange problem. I put up a web site a few days ago. One of my friends uses a Mac but she said she can not view it. All she sees is color, but no text. I do not use a Mac so I can not help her.
Is this a common problem or speific to her computer?
The web site is http://www.genwebstalkers.com/ if anyone wants to view it with a Mac. It was made with FrontPage 2003. I could not find any settings on the FP program that mentioned Mac computers.
Perhaps the Mac has some blocking feature?
Charles

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
She is right, we do not see text.

Front page is not a good software application for creating websites for professional use. It does not create the best code. I am about to leave soon so I can not trouble shoot it for you, but I will if the problem has not been discovered by the time I get back. PM me if I forget.

In the mean time, I have attached a screen shot of what we see.

Picture 3.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I see the same thing PBG4 sees.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
It seems to be Safari-specific. I can see the page in Firefox but I get the same as the last 2 posters using Safari.

Screen shot attached.

Picture 1.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Works fine here in Camino. FrontPage is not a very good piece of software if you want totally 100% compatible with everything HTML.

Picture 2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It worked in OmniWeb 5.5.3, but as others have said, not in Safari.

An interesting note is that if you search for the word 'crashed', Safari highlights its location. You still can't see the word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I must admit though... even after opening the site in Firefox I still couldn't make heads or tails of what it's about...

Reaction score
I'm sorry but somenoe had to ask this, what in the world is that on your page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
It's probably because the character set is 'charset=windows-1252' which is a Microsoft creation. It's not known to work all that well in other browsers. The line is right after the opening <html> tag:

Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

I'd suggest trying something a little more universal. Possibly UTF-8, or a Unicode option.

Reaction score
I can see your page fine... using Firefox (which I prefer) but not with Safari. Safari has several issues with web development (including images not coming out as clear). Let me do a little looking around and I'll see what I can come up with. You might want to try the Frontpage forums... I think Thyamine is right though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
GuldVetSAF said:
Safari has several issues with web development (including images not coming out as clear).

Actually Safari is quite standard's compliant, it is the only browser besides Opera to pass the W3C's ACID 2 test.

The problem is that Internet Explorer 6 (the current most common browser) is anything but, so most websites are designed to be "faulty" in order to show up correctly in IE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm sorry but somenoe had to ask this, what in the world is that on your page?

I haven't looked at the page itself... but the screenshot image posted above is a picture that has been floating around the web/emails for a lot lately... It's a picture of a pitbull that attacked a porcupine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Actually Safari is quite standard's compliant, it is the only browser besides Opera to pass the W3C's ACID 2 test.

The problem is that Internet Explorer 6 (the current most common browser) is anything but, so most websites are designed to be "faulty" in order to show up correctly in IE.

Agreed. I tried IE7 the other day and showed a friend. Acid 2 looks just as bad on IE7 as it did on 6.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Works find in Safari, IF you do not use the tabs1011.css referenced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

However the ACID 2 test has some fairly bizarre and unique features from CSS that most people won't be using, so to some extent passing the test is like having a car that does 200+ MPH: not everyone needs it to go to that level.

That being said, I'm always glad to see standards compliance after dealing with IE's inconsistencies for years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Safari has several issues with web development (including images not coming out as clear)

Does it? That's news to me. The only thing regarding "images" is that Safari uses embedded colour profiles.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.