Hard drives and the eMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
Hard drives, RAM and the eMac

Despite my evil sister's :mad: plans to make my mum change her mind about getting me a mac.. I have enough savings to buy an eMac (better than nothing! :) )
the 40gb HDD that comes with it, does a standard PC P ATA/IDE work with the eMac and is there 2 drive bays? or can i swap it with a 160 or 120 from my PC?
I know if it worked, that I'd have to install OS X onto it.. but anyways I might want to do that first (nothing to loose) - so are they compatible?

Also, do they allow you to add more RAM yourself? And can the standard 256 stick be removed?

thanks
:) :cool:

B

Badger

From the Apple developer notes: "The internal hard disk drive operates at ATA-100 and conforms to the ATA/ATAPI-6 standard. It is set as Cable Select (CS) and operates as a device 0 on the host’s ATA port." In other words, any ATA 100 disk will work. Unfortunately there is only one drive bay so you would have to open up the case and swap HDs. Since a hard drive swap is not considered a consumer installable upgrade you may void the warranty. You may want to consider installing the big disk in an external USB or Firewire drive case.
Badger

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I have an external HD Mp3 Player thats 40GB (HD-500) its USB 2 I'll think about the firewire case :) too and if my Apple Center has any ones with the 80gb

I may have an eMac TOMORROW :D:D:D:D if theres any new ones in stock

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.