• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What cell phone should i get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
its been like three years since i bought my last cell phone, and my contract is up and im going in to buy a new one soon. i use verizon, text message A LOT, and would like to take some decent pictures. sadly, i cannot afford to buy the iPhone for many reasons...maybe in a few years if they switch to verizon...
anyway, what cell phone do u think i should get, and which ones do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1.8GHz C2D iSight 1GB RAM 160GB HDD
What do you use a Cell phone for?
Music?
Texting?
Pic taking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I have the Motorola Razr V3. Just got it about 3 months ago and it has everything you mention, decent camera, text, music, etc. The speaker is very loud and it is bluetooth.
Just a tip...if you buy from Verizon on-line, usually the phones will be free. We got both Razr's free with a new 2 year contract. But if you go into one of the Verizon stores it will cost you. They quoted us almost $200.00 but on-line it's free. So be sure to check that out first and if you haven't already, it's worth signing into their site.
Btw, we love our Razr's but they are very thin and not too easy to hang on to. Haven't dropped them yet, hope we don't.
On the site they will tell you that you qualify for phones and give you a list to choose and compare from, many being free.
Good luck!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1.8GHz C2D iSight 1GB RAM 160GB HDD
Yea I got the RAZR v3 Silver

Very good for what I need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Treo 700wx or p would be good too

also, i would look at possibly changing your service. I have Sprint and I absolutely love them.

Reaction score
Hey... I've had the Verizon V phone now for over a year. It has been replaced by the EnV but that phone is just as good with some improvements. I've owned MANY different cells and have spent literally thousands of dollars trying to find one to fit me. I've owned all sorts of smart phones, a PDA and the like. However, for text messaging (which is what I do most), I recommend the EnV. It has a decent camera, a slot for a mini disk, you can download music videos and the like through V Cast and I'm telling you it's the best phone for texting... it fits incredibly well in your hands and it's just overall a great phone, bluetooth enabled, speakers that are better than I had in a stereo system as a kid. Go to Verizon and try it out... you're immediately going to like how it fits I promise. Let me know what you decide!

Scott

OP
narf1899
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
thanks for all the help guys...
does anybody know the name of the phone thats like black and flips open like normal but also twists sideways to reveal a full qwerty keyboard? it has these three buttons (play/pause, left arrow, right arrow) that light up red as u move ur finger over em...i saw some kid with it and it looks awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
It sounds like you'd want a RAZR. It has a pretty nice camera and all of the other features you want.

OP
narf1899
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no its not any of those. its like...a small black flip phone that has like a double hinge...i believe its made by samsung or LG...

OP
narf1899
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
does anybody have a SLVR? i heard those were pretty cool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I have a Treo 650 w/Verizon. I've heard of others having issues with theirs, so far so good here. If you need a PDA/Phone I'd go with that or the 700p.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I'm in the market as well for a new phone in June and it won't be a iPhone mainly because I'm on verizon. I've heard that Verizon has dumbed down alot of features on their phones to keep the would be "geek" from making them more useful for less money. ie. loading it full of music and photos and basic syncing services. I only speak from my on experience. I have an LG VX8100 and i love it, but it completely refuses to sync with my Mac. This drives me uts and I've spent many an hour trying to get it all sorted out. What phones do you suggest for syncing to my Mac, and remember I'm on Verizon and will probably stay there.

Reaction score
That double hinge phone you were inquiring on is the Samsung SCH-u740.

Here is a review on it.

I have some co-worker's who own the LG enV. Great phone that can do many things. Great for SMS (text messages) as there is f a full qwerty keyboard. 2 megapixel camera, bluetooth, and supports Vcast if your into that sort of thing. Many other usfule application eg. GPS navigator. My only drawbak is that it is a large phone by todays standards.

OP
narf1899
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yess! thats the one!
i read the review, and it sounds awesome! so much better than my current phone...thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
I have the enV and like it very much, completely satisfied with it.

Just a tip, if u plan on putting YOUR OWN ringtones on ur phone (as in not buying from VZW) dont get a motorola, they suck with that kind of stuff, its really easy on the samsungs and the LGs to put them on. I know b/c my brother has the KRZR and we ended up having to email the ringtones which charges one pix message. Oh and stay away from the chocolate, ive heard tons of bad things about it!

Reaction score
The Mobile Phone Trend over here in Ireland/Europe seems to be different, sure the Motorola V3 Razr looks good but we see it as an ornament.

I myself have a Sony Ericsson K610i
In the 2 years I have had:
Nokia 3650, 6600, 3220, 6230, 6630,6680, E61, E50 and a few others
Motorola - V80, V3, Slvr, V3x
Sony Ericsson K610i

As Im sure you guessed Im big into my gadgets! I always hated Sony Ericsson for some reason. But when I saw the K610i it changed my mind. I would recommend it to anyone! It even has the built in ability to post straight to blogger, MP3 player, Bluetooth, 3G/Edge, MSN Messenger, good battery life (not as good as nokia), 2.0 MP Camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.