How do I do a hard reset?

Reaction score
I would like to know how to completely reset my mac. I would like to take it back to when I first bought it. I haven't really downloaded any programs or anything that I need and I am in the process of backing up all my iTunes and pix on an external hard drive. I have the original systems discs but they are for 10.3 and I have updated my system to 10.3.9.

So, is there a way to take it back to new and start all over again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
you can reset it back to "new" with your system discs..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
I would like to know how to completely reset my mac. I would like to take it back to when I first bought it. I haven't really downloaded any programs or anything that I need and I am in the process of backing up all my iTunes and pix on an external hard drive. I have the original systems discs but they are for 10.3 and I have updated my system to 10.3.9.

So, is there a way to take it back to new and start all over again?

I guess all you need to do is use those system disks to reformat your hard drive and reinstall OS X

OP
M
Reaction score
When I reboot the computer with the systems discs (holding down "C") it says I can't use the discs because a later version of OS X is installed. Any ideas on how I can do this but still maintain this version of OS X? Thanks for all your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
You should be able to format and reinstall the original version of system software, even after updating it. I've done it myself.

At what point do you get the error? What options, if any, did you select?

Reaction score
If you really want to erase the drive completely, start the computer from the install disk, and follow the process only to the second screen (with Tiger, at least). Maybe it's the third screen with Panther — I don't recall.

Then go to the menu across the top to Utilities and choose Disk Utility. When Disk Utility is running, you can erase the disk. Then quit Disk Utility, at which point you can load the system. After it's loaded, go to Software Update so you'll be back where you were at 10.3.9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you can just run maintenance scripts and delete your caches and preferences to basically get your computer back to 'new'...common suggestion around here is that there is never a reason to do a reinstall unless something is seriously seriously seriously wrong with your os
-chris

OP
M
Reaction score
How do I delete my caches and preferences from maintenance scripts? What I really want to do is just clean up my hard drive to new and reset all preferences to new. I guess running this maintenance scripts would do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.