Some questions...

Reaction score
So im definately going to switch to a mac. After using macs here and there i've decided to use this as my main computer when i go to uni in September. However i wondered if you could answer a few of my questions (i have tried searching the forums but i couldn't find anything to help me). I'm more than likely going to get a Powerbook 15" (the portability will be helpful, hence im not getting a desktop) with 512MB RAM 1 SO-DIMM, and the upgraded graphics card (128MB)

1. When writing documents what is the best software to use? What standard writing software does the mac (OS X) come with? (I haven't been able to find out on the main site).

2. I currently use Paintshop Pro for editing photos on my PC. I just wondered what you guys recommend using on the mac?

3. Is iMovie a good piece of software for compiling movies?

4. Are the Powerbooks going to be updated again before September? From what I understand the G5 won't be out until next year at earliest and will be mega bucks anyway. Is this latest upgrade the only one this year or will there be more offers/upgrades later in the summer?

Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
1. When writing documents what is the best software to use? What standard writing software does the mac (OS X) come with?

I am not sure if Appleworks comes pre-installed now. I am thinking the other application is Think Free Office, which you can find on version tracker or on Mac Update

2. I currently use Paintshop Pro for editing photos on my PC. I just wondered what you guys recommend using on the mac?

I believe most will tell you Photoshop

3. Is iMovie a good piece of software for compiling movies?

If you mean editting, then Imovie will work fine for the simple stuff.

4. Are the Powerbooks going to be updated again before September? From what I understand the G5 won't be out until next year at earliest and will be mega bucks anyway. Is this latest upgrade the only one this year or will there be more offers/upgrades later in the summer?

I believe that the next updates wil be the iMac and the PowerMacs. I don't think we will see anything in the iBook or PowerBooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ditto, I agree with all of the above, although Appleworks does come installed, so that's a good one for you. And you can get PHotoshop Elements if Photoshop is too expensive.

Cheers!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am starting to remember, for item one I believe it is open office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Murlyn said:
Ditto, I agree with all of the above, although Appleworks does come installed, so that's a good one for you.

Appleworks is a great application, but it only comes installed on Apple's "consumer" machines, not their "professional" ones. In other words, the PowerBook and Power Mac don't include it, but the iBook, eMac, and iMac all do. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Awww kewl! Thanks for that clarification!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That explains why my wife's iBook has it and my PowerBook doesn't.

C

Chamorro

lostinmysphere said:
I'm more than likely going to get a Powerbook 15" (the portability will be helpful, hence im not getting a desktop) with 512MB RAM 1 SO-DIMM, and the upgraded graphics card (128MB)

1. When writing documents what is the best software to use? What standard writing software does the mac (OS X) come with? (I haven't been able to find out on the main site).

I agree w/ everyone on the other q's, but I wanted to put 2cents in on this one. Most word processors will work for most people. MS Word is the standard. Mac OSX comes w/ TextEdit, and (at least in Panther) it has many more formatting capabilities, which may fit your needs. If not, there's the MS stuff, AppleWorks, OpenOffice (search the web), ThinkFree Office.

PS - nice choice of PB.......it'll be nicer w/ even more RAM :D

T

TylerMoney

apple works doesn't come on new powerbooks....so, they'll give you a trial versionn of office x (microsoft)...it's not bad...also text edit, which can't do much..but like rman said, there are good free versions of things on version tracker. good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you're looking for a cheaper photo editor than Photoshop, consider Photoshop Elements. Almost as good, and only $100. There's also another knockoff called PhotoStudio from Arcsoft, $80.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.