G5 vs Intel-based: what is the heat like in comparison?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
oh right. soz i miss understood the thread.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
oh right. soz i miss understood the thread.

Not a problem, just making sure people knew what was going on. It is amazing though just how much faster an Intel Mac boots than most PPC Macs.

Reaction score
As for the G5s "feeling" faster, are you referring to the operating system itself or applications?

I'm talking about apps launching faster and opening from the dock faster. I didn't do any real work on the Intel machine but the G5 desktop just seems to respond faster. Maximum pc made reference to Intels running cooler than AMD in last years dream machine article. My only point in comparing the two is to say that of all the procs available Apple chose the most well suited that they could, and I am an AMD fan, thats whats in my Linux box.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Yeah I heard those apps running under Rosetta (like the Adobe CS2 apps) are a real pain. But I'm sure the CS3 apps are gonna really help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
Not a problem, just making sure people knew what was going on. It is amazing though just how much faster an Intel Mac boots than most PPC Macs.

yh it is very interesting. - quite amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yeah I heard those apps running under Rosetta (like the Adobe CS2 apps) are a real pain. But I'm sure the CS3 apps are gonna really help.

Well personally, going from a G4 1.4 to an Intel 2.3 dual... CS2 is still much faster and smoother on the intel.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Giulio, guilio, giulio... Buddy of mine, remember the title of the thread: G5 vs Intel.

LOL

Kiddin' ya. I would sure hope so that an Intel-based Mac is faster than a G4 iMac! It would mean all these years for nuthin'. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I just got a 2.16 Intel C2D iMac and it runs much hotter than any G5 I've played with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

That movie is not correct. I remember when this first came out. I have the same G5 iMac and it boots in less than half the time of that one. Its not as fast as the Intel, but its nowhere near as slow. The G5 was either not properly shut down, or had some other problem, possibly software update, or something else before it was shut down.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That movie is not correct. I remember when this first came out. I have the same G5 iMac and it boots in less than half the time of that one. Its not as fast as the Intel, but its nowhere near as slow. The G5 was either not properly shut down, or had some other problem, possibly software update, or something else before it was shut down.

Agreed. That is what I was trying to say in my message above.

I just did a test with my G5 2.1Ghz iMac iSight. From the time the gray screen with the Apple appears to the desktop it was around 25 seconds. WAY faster than that iMac G5 in that video. The one thing that does take a lot longer on the G5 imac is the POST before it boots OSX. That takes 10-12 seconds here where the my Intel Core Duo Mini is maybe 1-2 seconds. The Intel Mini here takes 10 to get to the desktop if even that. One fast little machine bootup wise!

That iMac in the video needs HELP! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Compare the insane and very complex cooling system in a Mac Pro G5 to a Mac Pro Intel.

The Intel version has two large heatsinks, the G5 version has a vastly complex liquid cooling system.

Apple switched to Intel due to it being an actively developed desktop processor. PowerPC is typically focussed at embedded systems these days. It just wasn't progressing fast enough to keep pace with Intel/AMD.

It is true that the G5 would never have worked well in a laptop. There simply wouldn't have been any battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Silly macheadgoose, I was commenting about Rosetta.

Giulio, guilio, giulio... Buddy of mine, remember the title of the thread: G5 vs Intel.

LOL

Kiddin' ya. I would sure hope so that an Intel-based Mac is faster than a G4 iMac! It would mean all these years for nuthin'. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
That of course is Booting speed and NOT CPU speed in getting work done, although the Intel Mini does get real work done faster than my 2.1Ghz iMac G5. Handbrake doing the exact same video takes 2.5 hours on the iMac G5 with CPU set to Max Performance and less than 55 minutes on Core Duo Mini. There is no doubt using Universal applications on both systems that the Intel Macs are faster than the G5's overall at least with every app I have compared over here.

Bear in mind that the Mini has a Core Duo and the Macbook, MBP and iMacs largely run the Core 2 Duo which is even better still.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bear in mind that the Mini has a Core Duo and the Macbook, MBP and iMacs largely run the Core 2 Duo which is even better still.

I am aware of that. About 15% faster or so in proper tests.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Ok I have used for a couple of hours my friend's Intel-based iMac and I can tell anyone wondering about the heat issue that the Intel-based iMac runs much much MUCH cooler than the G5 I have.

Just using Safari on both, mine radiates heat from the screen and the front lower part with the grey Apple logo on it while the Intel barely feels warm to the touch and the warm spot is very small.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Somehow that does not shock me too much. The Faster G5's got QUITE hot!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.