Questions about iMac

Reaction score
A few questions regarding iMac here.

Our family computer recently crashed and since iMac's can now run Windows and Mac OS X, I'm trying to convince my family to switch to an iMac. It's just beneficial in so many ways. You can use Mac OS X for any word processing, IM, web browsing and stuff and not have to worry about viruses as intently as on Windows. But at the same time, the computer game library that my family has connected over the years can continue to be used running Windows on Bootcamp. I'm trying to convince my parents but obviously have a few questions.

I've read a few reports here and there that Apple is possibly launching new iMac's in the near future (presumably to include Leopard). Is there any date or confirmed information for this? I mean, my family needs a computer right away and can't wait for a new set of computers in October, but if there's legitimate sources saying that a new iMac is coming soon, my family could hold off a few weeks.

And is there any deal going on with Apple where if we buy an iMac now we can get a free upgrade to Leopard when it's released? (Similar to how Dell and some other companies offered free upgrades to Vista if they bought a new computer during a certain timeframe?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
No one knows when Leopard will be released...

If you buy an iMac and Leopard is then released WITHIN 2 weeks of your order... you will get a free upgrade from Apple...

The truth is... coming from Windows... the current version "Tiger" will blow your mind.
When Leopard is released... the cost to upgrade will most likely be around $150... So not too bad.

Jump in.... the water is great! Or... is this KoolAid? :D;P

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A few questions regarding iMac here.

Our family computer recently crashed and since iMac's can now run Windows and Mac OS X, I'm trying to convince my family to switch to an iMac. It's just beneficial in so many ways. You can use Mac OS X for any word processing, IM, web browsing and stuff and not have to worry about viruses as intently as on Windows. But at the same time, the computer game library that my family has connected over the years can continue to be used running Windows on Bootcamp. I'm trying to convince my parents but obviously have a few questions.

I've read a few reports here and there that Apple is possibly launching new iMac's in the near future (presumably to include Leopard). Is there any date or confirmed information for this? I mean, my family needs a computer right away and can't wait for a new set of computers in October, but if there's legitimate sources saying that a new iMac is coming soon, my family could hold off a few weeks.

Apple is very secretive about release dates. Any statement from anyone besides Apple is mere speculation. The current iMac is a fine machine and there's nothing wrong with Tiger, which is already far beyond Vista. Apple doesn't reinvent the wheel with subsequent releases of OS X, it merely evolves. So, unless there's some killer feature that draws you to Leopard, I wouldn't worry about it.

And is there any deal going on with Apple where if we buy an iMac now we can get a free upgrade to Leopard when it's released? (Similar to how Dell and some other companies offered free upgrades to Vista if they bought a new computer during a certain timeframe?)

It's been said that Apple offers free upgrades to its newest operating system if you purchase a new Mac just a month or two before the release. Whether that will be true with Leopard is anyone's guess.

Furthermore, historically, Apple charges $129 for the OS. So, it's not terribly expensive if you want to upgrade and upgrades to OS X are extremely straightforward from what I've heard.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks guys! The one feature on Leopard that has really grabbed me is Spaces...I could totally use that to my advantage. (But at the same time, I would probably rarely use the family computer since I have my own laptop that I use most of the time. Sadly, it's not a mac...but I hope to change that in the next couple of years when I have some extra cash to invest into one. Most of my budget revolves around university costs right now).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
No one knows when Leopard will be released...

If you buy an iMac and Leopard is then released WITHIN 2 weeks of your order... you will get a free upgrade from Apple...

learn something everyday.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys! The one feature on Leopard that has really grabbed me is Spaces...I could totally use that to my advantage. (But at the same time, I would probably rarely use the family computer since I have my own laptop that I use most of the time. Sadly, it's not a mac...but I hope to change that in the next couple of years when I have some extra cash to invest into one. Most of my budget revolves around university costs right now).

VirtueDesktops does the same thing as Spaces, just in case you do happen to upgrade now.

OP
A
Reaction score
^^That's very helpful! Thanks!

We priced out both a Dell and iMac. It's going to cost roughly $250 more for the iMac. And we'd have to purchase a copy of XP SP2 for some of the games that my dad/brothers own, plus Microsoft Office for Mac. So, I just need to convince my parents that it will be worth the extra costs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
If you are a student... Check your Univ. Bookstore... Usually you can get Office for Mac for $5 or $10... that 's five or ten dollars (NOT a typo:D)

When looking at the Dell vs. iMac costs.... consider the MASSIVE amount of software that is included with the iMac.... The built-in iSight, the ENTIRE system built-in to the monitor... SOOOOO clean!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^That's very helpful! Thanks!

We priced out both a Dell and iMac. It's going to cost roughly $250 more for the iMac. And we'd have to purchase a copy of XP SP2 for some of the games that my dad/brothers own, plus Microsoft Office for Mac. So, I just need to convince my parents that it will be worth the extra costs...

Do consider the cost of security and anti-virus/spyware software for the PC that you won't need to purchase for the Mac as well.

By the way, VirtueDesktops development has been abandoned (mostly due to the inevitability of Spaces), but it still rocks. I haven't had any trouble with it at all - and there are a ton of features.

OP
A
Reaction score
LOL...our University bookstore sold Office for $99 on sale the other day. (That's Canadian, btw). But I can probably pick it up for a discount price there. I can get the iMac itself for a discount when I use my Student ID on the Apple website, so that's good.

You've been a great help everyone! I'll have to work on my parents when they get back from their trip early next week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I believe that a new mac with a new hard drive and new OS will run better than an older mac that has been upgraded. The files are in the right place on the hard drive for optimum performance, the "hot band" (or something like that).

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm assuming that the iMac has a speaker plug in right? We've got a nice set of speakers that we'd like to keep using if we could.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.