I opened my Mac Pro and was disappointed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Yeah...I have a 1.83 Mini with 80 GB HD, and can't find the brand of HD it uses.

Anyone know?
Go under the Apple to About This Mac. Click on More Info.

I have a dual G4, so the rest might be different, but immediately under Hardware on mine is the heading ATA. Clicking on that reveals the DVD drive as being a Pioneer and the hard drive an IBM.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Go under the Apple to About This Mac. Click on More Info.

I have a dual G4, so the rest might be different, but immediately under Hardware on mine is the heading ATA. Clicking on that reveals the DVD drive as being a Pioneer and the hard drive an IBM.

Since they have an Intel Mini you just go down that list to Serial-ATA and it's listed there. My Intel Mini has a Seagate. My iMac G5 iSight a WD.

Reaction score
I've used so many different hard drives over the last few years (this is in a PC, so i cant talk about experience with mac - just made the leap this week)

WD drives are without doubt the most stable drives I have ever used, quick too. great for what i use them for...

if you wanna swap out for a seagate then be my guest, but you'll be shooting yourself in the foot

OP
C
Reaction score
My experience is the opposite. Been using Seagate for years, never had a problem. I think "shooting myself in the foot" is a little exaggerative.

Reaction score
it was a bit, yeah, but what i mean is - he's got a perfectly good hard drive in there at the moment, why waste money on getting one of about the same quality?

OP
C
Reaction score
Right :) But I do need to buy a second HD for cloning backups to.. so.. that will be a Seagate. Then maybe I can compare the two..somehow.

Reaction score
Every brand of hard drive has a group of people who hate them and will never buy them again, and a group of people that love them and will never buy anything else.

There's really not much difference between any of them. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Every brand of hard drive has a group of people who hate them and will never buy them again, and a group of people that love them and will never buy anything else.

There's really not much difference between any of them. :)

There are huge differences. I had to buy another SATA card for a PC so I could use a Maxtor drive in Linux. On NVidia SATA it would keep disconnecting all the time.

One Hitachi drive I bought makes a meowing sound when idle, this is perfectly normal for that model and is to increase reliability. This drive also required me to boot it with the DMA turned off and then switch it on in Linux.

Only brand I've used in Linux with no problems is Seagate. Never used WD drives with Linux.

In my Pro I have stock WD 250GB and a Seagate 200GB. I did put in my Maxtor 500GB but it makes too much of a humming sound. The seagate is also, but not so bad.

Reaction score
gilesjuk

My point is that for every problem you just pointed out, there will be someone else out there with the exact opposite experience. If someone hates a brand of hard drive there will be someone else who loves it won't use anything else. It's entirely subjective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
There's really not much difference between any of them.

There are massive differences between manufacturers. Just look at the IBM Deskstar (aka Deathstar; they were actually manufactured by Hitachi I do believe) that they used a few years back. Dell ended up using a lot of those drives, and I ended up with about 20 Dell systems that used them. Out of those 20, I replaced about 15 of them. All HD manufacturers are NOT created equal.

There are huge differences. I had to buy another SATA card for a PC so I could use a Maxtor drive in Linux. On NVidia SATA it would keep disconnecting all the time.

Hence the reason I will never buy a Maxtor drive again. The nForce4 chipset had serious compatibility issues with Maxtor drives, and it took Maxtor ages to release an updated firmware that fixed the problem. All other brand hard drives worked 100% OK. I put together many nForce4 machines for friends/clients, and any machine that I used a Maxtor in had issues. It got to the point where I just decided to stop purchasing Maxtor drives altogether.

And when it comes to laptop drives, Toshiba made some horrible 4200RPM drives in their time; I had several that didn't even last a year. IBM Travelstars were pretty terrible too. Dell used a lot of these as well, and I have replaced more Toshiba laptop drives than any other brand. I replaced all of them with Seagate Momentus drives and I never have had a problem with any of them since. The Momentus drives also run quieter, faster, and much cooler.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There are massive differences between manufacturers. Just look at the IBM Deskstar (aka Deathstar; they were actually manufactured by Hitachi I do believe)

Actually, IBM sold its hard drive line to Hitachi, who continues to manufacture them under the Deskstar brand. Though the quality on these drives has improved remarkably since the IBM days.

Nowadays, there really is not much difference in hard drive quality. WD is great, Seagate and Maxtor are now one and the same, Hitachi has really improved the Deskstar line, and the rest of the drive makers only hold a small amount of market share.

Like I stated in my previous post, every manufacturer will make drives that fail as random defects are a natural part of the manufacturing process. Keep in mind that though you hear several people each complaining about a different drive maker, there are millions of others who are perfectly content (or utterly oblivious) with the same drives being complained about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I stated in my previous post, every manufacturer will make drives that fail as random defects are a natural part of the manufacturing process. Keep in mind that though you hear several people each complaining about a different drive maker, there are millions of others who are perfectly content (or utterly oblivious) with the same drives being complained about.

But some makers produce obvious bad products, while others keep standards high all of the time.

In recent Google tests, it was found that cooling and light use didn't actually result in a drive lasting longer. It was found that cooling a drive actually made no different or resulted in shorter life. Survival of the fittest applies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6376021.stm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
But some makers produce obvious bad products, while others keep standards high all of the time.

You didn't read my post. I acknowledged that companies like Maxtor and IBM made horrible drives on a more consistent basis than the competition. But with recent changes in the marketplace (mergers and transfers), the line isn't as clear as it used to be. We can no longer point to a single manufacturer and say its drives are of shoddier quality than the others. All the manufacturers are essentially on the same level now, at least on terms of quality (service is an entirely different animal)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's true and it's also unfair :)

OP
C
Reaction score
But with recent changes in the marketplace (mergers and transfers), the line isn't as clear as it used to be. We can no longer point to a single manufacturer and say its drives are of shoddier quality than the others. All the manufacturers are essentially on the same level now, at least on terms of quality (service is an entirely different animal)

I still disagree. :) Maxtor is crap. Until Seagate does something about it now that they have ownership of that line of products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
Since they have an Intel Mini you just go down that list to Serial-ATA and it's listed there. My Intel Mini has a Seagate. My iMac G5 iSight a WD.

Seagate? My Intel Mini has a Fujitsu...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
You didn't read my post. I acknowledged that companies like Maxtor and IBM made horrible drives on a more consistent basis than the competition. But with recent changes in the marketplace (mergers and transfers), the line isn't as clear as it used to be. We can no longer point to a single manufacturer and say its drives are of shoddier quality than the others. All the manufacturers are essentially on the same level now, at least on terms of quality (service is an entirely different animal)

Alright, I still heavily disagree with you. What you are saying doesn't make any sense whatsoever. What you're saying would be the same thing as saying that all car manufacturers are just as reliable, when in fact a Kia isn't going to be near as reliable as a Toyota or Honda or Mitsubishi or what have you. Not all cars are manufactured equally, and not all hard drives are manufactured equally.

Just because Seagate bought Maxtor doesn't mean that the drives are identical. It takes time for companies to merge R&D, and Seagate/Maxtor have not reached that point yet. And moving forward, I don't think that Seagate will be making DiamondMax hard drives anymore, but will eventually just phase Maxtor out and sell Seagate only drives, in which reliability wouldn't have changed any. Seagate really only purchased Maxtor to gain their markets, not their technology. And to be honest, Maxtor sucks, so what would Seagate really gain from their technologies? To add to that, Maxtor has still sucked since the merger, because their DiamondMax line still has strange incompatibility issues with certain chipsets until you update the firmware. Maxtor hasn't changed since the merger, and neither has Seagate. The only thing they gained was increased marketshare and a broader market.

With cars, go ask an auto mechanic which brand is more reliable and he will have a hard set opinion most likely. The same goes with hard drives. Go talk to any computer repair shop or data recovery center and they will give you their opinion. Do google searches, etc, call some of these data recovery centers, and I believe you will find most of them think that Seagate drives are the most reliable. That's how it has been in my experience and many of my friends at school (computer engineers), co-workers (IT), and people I deal with at a local data recovery center will all tell you that Seagate is by far the better brand.

If you can do a google search and provide me with good proof that all hard drives are the same and that one brand is no more reliable than another, then you're right and I give up. But the fact of the matter is that different hard drive manufacturers use different designs and different components, and certain manufacturers will have a better track record (Seagate) than others (WD, Maxtor, IBM, etc). Saying that modern hard drives are similar would be an arguable statement (How is a perpendicular recording drive the same as a normal drive???), but saying that they are all the same and one brand is not more reliable than others just doesn't make any logic to me whatsoever.

Reaction score
This is a no brainer;

** Maxtor = "Wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy" - they use PLASTIC parts, where all the others use metal - I have pulled a LOT of disks apart, and Maxtor consistently use PLASTIC... - why? (rhetorical Q!).
** HGST (Hitachi) The best and fastest drives, and at reasonable prices. This is probably going to start a debate, but having looked at LOADS of PC/Mac magazines, and having seen over 4 years worth of hdd reviews, HGST come out on top almost EVERY TIME!.

Just my input - ignore at will! :)

Actually, IBM sold its hard drive line to Hitachi, who continues to manufacture them under the Deskstar brand. Though the quality on these drives has improved remarkably since the IBM days.

Nowadays, there really is not much difference in hard drive quality. WD is great, Seagate and Maxtor are now one and the same, Hitachi has really improved the Deskstar line, and the rest of the drive makers only hold a small amount of market share.

Sorry, but you have just proved beyond any shadow of a doubt, that you don't know what you're talking about regarding hard drives - complete and utter fluff talk, sorry. I know enough to say that your comment regarding there
really is not much difference in hard drive quality
is absolute rubbish, as are Maxtor drives.

I don't profess to know even a small fraction what there is to know, before qualifying oneself as a hard disk "expert", but what I *DO* know, is that there ARE higher failure rates with certain brands, than with others, the same as ANY hardware component. Conjecture is yours (yet again).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
There are massive differences between manufacturers. Just look at the IBM Deskstar (aka Deathstar; they were actually manufactured by Hitachi I do believe) that they used a few years back. Dell ended up using a lot of those drives, and I ended up with about 20 Dell systems that used them. Out of those 20, I replaced about 15 of them. All HD manufacturers are NOT created equal.

What about specific models? Even the most reliable manufacturer will occasionally bring out a lemon.

Some people have had very bad luck with hard drives. I must have had about 20 over the years - all sorts of brands - and nothing's ever gone wrong with any of them (touchwood).

DVD / CD drives are another story though. Samsung and Plextor have died on me so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.