Partitioning External HD

Reaction score
I have a WD 500 GB external hard drive and as most of you know I'm new to mac... so, when I downloaded SuperDuper and went to backup my mac for the first time (with superduper anyway), It's not formated correctly.

This is my question... and I'm fairly sure I know the answer already...

I already have about we'll say 90 gb of documents, music and photos etc on the external drive. Is there any way I can partition the drive so that I don't have to put everything on a dvd first. What I mean is, I'm assuming if I partition the drives now, with all that stuff on there; when I do so it's going to erase all that data?

I think there's a way to do it but I'm not that familiar with partitioning. I had a partitioned internal drive years ago with windows on one and linux on another (I was playing around and simply didn't make the effort to really learn the os- so it really was just a waste of time).

Anyway, thanks for the input in advance.

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
With Disk Utility, you will lose your data when you repartition.

You could use a product like iPartition, but it's not free.

Hope this helps.

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
That's what I thought. SuperDuper has a partitioning option as well... with the formatting of the drive though (I think)... Thanks

Reaction score
That's what I thought. SuperDuper has a partitioning option as well... with the formatting of the drive though (I think)... Thanks

Are you sure SuperDuper can partition drives? I use it for cloning, backup etc.

I use DriveGenius for re-sizing partitions without destroying data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.