Web Development

Reaction score
I've been dabbling in web development since the later portion of 1995. For 12 years I've used versions of MS Frontpage and recently purchased Expression Web...

However, now that I'm transitioning to macs (I will probably always keep a PC, at least for another year for gaming and such)... I'd appreciate knowledgeable persons input on software available for macs.

Ease of use and functionality are my primary concerns... it's makes me angry (kind of) that I may have to learn yet another program (especially after the thousands of hours spent in FP); but I do love learning and as I said previously; I really would like to move to everything mac. :)

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I'm going to probably come off as a snobby geek, but I'd suggest anything that lets you code by hand.

The more you know about what you are doing on the back end, the less the program will really make a difference. For example, if you can code a page in notepad, then any program with a GUI will only be a bonus since it'll help simplify tasks and you won't really have to learn the app as much. However I'm also extremely picky about keeping my HTML clean, and most apps seem to be terrible at tag management/placement so part of my bias comes from that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I'm going to probably come off as a snobby geek, but I'd suggest anything that lets you code by hand.

The more you know about what you are doing on the back end, the less the program will really make a difference. For example, if you can code a page in notepad, then any program with a GUI will only be a bonus since it'll help simplify tasks and you won't really have to learn the app as much. However I'm also extremely picky about keeping my HTML clean, and most apps seem to be terrible at tag management/placement so part of my bias comes from that.

Agreed, 100%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard Black MacBook
Yeah I just use TextWrangler. It's free from the people who made BBEdit.

OP
GulfVetSAF
Reaction score
Thyamine; your input was the opposite of what you worried about (snob)... I agree with you and now that I'm retired I'll have more time to do as you suggested. I think your advice is even more important as I'm entirely new to mac, OS X and such... now's a good as time as ever to start fresh with something... as I've done with scripting. I appreciate all the input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Thyamine; your input was the opposite of what you worried about (snob)... I agree with you and now that I'm retired I'll have more time to do as you suggested. I think your advice is even more important as I'm entirely new to mac, OS X and such... now's a good as time as ever to start fresh with something... as I've done with scripting. I appreciate all the input.

Glad to hear that. =) HTML is easy to pick up, CSS is a little more complicated but still not too bad, and I find them all to be fairly interesting. There are lots of little things you can learn that make it fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 4GB RAM 250 GBHD, MacBook Black. 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 1GB memory. 120GB hard drive.
Has anyone in here used BBEdit? I have only built a webpage using a CMS. (www.nau.edu/asnau) That required little code and I want my own page. I was thinking about getting BBEdit. Not sure if it is good. Like I said, I am very much a beginner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro

I could not have put it better myself. I use Text Wrangler to hand code and Cyberduck to FTP to remote servers. Both free!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I use Dreamweaver.

The learning curve on it is a little steep at first, it's not particularly intuitive, but it works for most things.

You can also switch very quickly between the GUI, and the handcoding screens. I find it's the best of both - the GUI isn't always perfect, and it produces some messy html if you're not careful, so I tend to lay out a page with the GUI (maybe that should be wysiwyg), and then tidy up the code afterwards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
The thing with Dreamweaver is if you take all the features out you shouldn't need you're left with a basic and very over-priced text editor. It's really not a good idea to develop websites using WYSIWYG editors if you don't understand what's going on in the code underneath.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.