In the market for a tripod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
Hey all, i'm currently looking to get a new tripod. Semi-serious photographer looking for a decent tripod. Something around the $250-350 price range. Must be a ball and socket pivet with quick release and preferably a carbon fiber base but doesn't have to be. Something that is pretty durable for outdoor shooting. Just wanted to hear some opinions of the tripods that you all use and what brands you prefer. I know Manfrotto is a good brand for heads. I appreciate your suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MB CD 1.25Gb
i have the manfrotto 3021bpro with a 486rc2 ballhead. sturdy as heck but very heavy to carry around.

Reaction score
I have a friend who bought a manfrotto as well (I can't seem to find the specs) and I've borrowed it- I simply haven't gotten around to ordering my own yet. It has a NICE head that's a pistol grip which I'm telling you is incredible (no levers, not locking mechs just squeeze and move it around). I just sent him an email asking for the numbers again as soon as I get it I'll let you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
OP
OSURico112
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
Yeah my dad recently got a manfrotto head with a pistol grip and it's great. I may go with one like that because the ease of use of those is really nice. The Manfrotto 458B Neotec tripod looks like a nice base, might even be the one that he has. That Gitzgo is pretty nice too.

M

MacHeadCase

The great thing about the Gitzo is that each and every part (even the screws!) is replaceable in case it breaks and it carries a lifetime warranty, I think. Very well built, light yet very sturdy, great for treks in the wild.

OP
OSURico112
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The gitzo looks really nice but a little out of my price range for now. Was hoping not to exceed $350 for the total package.

M

MacHeadCase

Whoah! I bought it 18 months ago, I was sure the prices would have gone down in the US. Sorry 'bout that! :Blushing:

OP
OSURico112
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha, no problem, it is an excellent tripod, i just dont' have the cash to be dropping that much on a tripod for now. Maybe at a future date although I will definately take it into consideration if I decide to spend a bit more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
i use the 055 PROB with the 808 RC4, pan & tilt, cause i got to shoot panorama pictures sometime,

i like the 055, not that heavy and pretty sturdy for a reasonable price, i spent 275 on that combo with a shoulder carrying strap

OP
OSURico112
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just got my tripod today. Figured I'd let everyone know what I decided on. I got a manfrotto 190BPro (http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/op/preview/cache/offonce/pid/2050?livid=68%7C69&idx=71) for the base and the Manfrotto 322RC2 (http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/2319?livid=80&lsf=80&child=2) for the head. I'm really happy with my decision and thanks everyone for all your suggestions and input. Total Cost came out to around $250.
tripodsmallbc2.jpg

Oh and pardon my floor for being so trashed in the pic. This was taken with a camera phone by the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.