iBook will not start after security update.

Reaction score
It all started last week after I installed a security update the installion and everything went fine, afterwards the computer had told me to restart so I did so.. Then the problems began, I restarted like usual and when it was rebooting it got stuck on the screen with the grey apple in the middle an it looks like it will load like normal the the wheel begind to turn under the apple.. and from there on it just freezes with the wheel spinning..

ok now for things that i have tried to do..

Safe mode: for some reason just does not start at all

Single-user mode/Verbose: loads what looks to be usual things then the last line it has is
disk0s3: I/O error. and in single-user nothing can be typed at all.

Trying to boot OS X CD: I DO NOT HAVE THE CDS. tried booting with macbook CDS but it says a wierd panic: message.

Target Mode: Ok heres where things became more in depth, I used my firewire to connect my macbook to my ibook and i tried Disk utility from the OS X cds that came with the macbook and it said that there was an error and the disk could not be repaired so then i used Diskwarrior to rebuild my ibook disk and it worked fine i replaced and it said all errors were fixed.. then i used disk utility agian and this time it said there were no errors at all and that everything was fine.

I can still access all the files and everthing on my harddrive perfectly fine through target mode but the ibook will still not start up on its own.

Please any feed back would be much appreciated.

If you need any more info about the ibook just let me know.

Also I am very new too macs, thank you for your understanding.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
A long shot, I know, but it's worked for me in the past when I've encountered weird issues. Try a PRAM reset. Press and hold Command-Option-P-R when turning the machine on until you hear 3 system chimes. Then release.

OP
M
Reaction score
Also i dont know if people noticed but, with the target mode I have complete access to all my files... maybe theres something i have to delete?

P.S the macbook wich is fine is running tiger and the ibook wich is messed up is running panther...

M

MacHeadCase

Well if you don't have the CDs, I can't see how you can get out of this one. The only thing I can suggest is run DiskWarrior, if you have it or go out and buy a Panther full install disk.

And you'll never be able to start up using a MacBook's DVD/CD: these are model specific, even in Target Disk Mode.

OP
M
Reaction score
i ran DW in target mode and fixed the errors, how would i go about loading DW on the ibook if its not installed on it or can i install it through target mode?

OP
M
Reaction score
yes i tried, it still will not load i got to load witht he dw CD but i do not know what it is loaded.

M

MacHeadCase

Ok I would venture to say that the problem is software related and not hardware.

Well looks like you're caught in a loop here: no CDs that can re-install the OS on it. I think you need to buy a full install Panther or Tiger disk set and re-install the system. Unless someone can come up with a Terminal trick, that's what I'd suggest.

OP
M
Reaction score
i want to try and avoid purchaseing new disks and see if i can figure this out..

DW is basicly sayin in everything that there in nothing wrong with it at all except.

when i ram the file scan in DW it says 2 errors were found

File: "BootBlocksData"
Detected that the resource header is damaged and cannot be repaired
Location: *****/Applications/DiskWarrior.app/Contents/Resources

i dont think that even has anything to do with loading up the system...

OP
M
Reaction score
ok so before the startup chime would never work now i hear the sound at startup i dont know if this is a good sign or not am i gettin closer? im at a wall now completely it says everything was repaired but still no startup

Reaction score
same thing happened to me...

after about five or six tries, i just let it sit there for about 15 minutes, and it finally booted!
I have no idea what the problem was, that security update was screwy...
oh well atleast XP worked.
I would just say let it sit for a hot minute and see if it boots...maybe a few hot minutes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.