Odd Optical Drive problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz
For the past couple of weeks(even not longer, not sure), my optical drive has been acting funny. It won't mount most CD's and will attempt to read them, but after about 5 minutes will spit them out. So, while I called Applecare today to resolve a problem with my battery(they are sending me a new one, I'm quite happy with the support I got), I questioned the technician about my drive. She had me turn off the computer, remove the battery, and hold the start button for 5 seconds. And then when restarting hold down Apple+Opt+P+R. At the time, this fixed the problem for the most part. I was atleast able to have the Applecare protection CD mount. The Burned CDs I had still did not work, but oh well. Now after a restart, I have the same problem. Before I go calling Applecare again(seeing as how I won't have the chance until saturday), I was wondering if any else had a solution?

Thank you in advance.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i had a very similar problem. i went through a LOT of troubleshooting before bringing it to the nearby apple store.

check this thread out for tips: Macbook - superdrive - does not play audio CDs

my guess is that you may just have to bring it in to get the drive swapped. but you can try some of the troubleshooting in that thread first.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz
...Sounds like I have the same problem you did. I'll give Applecare a call again either saturday or monday....and depending on what they say, I'll bring it into the Apple store.

Thanks

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
no problem. hope it's as fast and painless as mine was, if they have to replace it. :)

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem. It refuses to play some perfectly unscratched discs. then it woks perfectly with every other disc. from time to time it wont take a black dvd and then later it will work fine.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz
Ya know...I'm an idiot...I don't know why i called the superdrive and optical drive lol. Either way, I'm going to give apple a call on Monday.

Reaction score
I'm sending mine back to Apple tomorrow and they're sending me a new Macbook White. The optical drive from my one month old Macbook White is now dead. Bad optical drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
more than one Mac
I'm sending mine back to Apple tomorrow and they're sending me a new Macbook White. The optical drive from my one month old Macbook White is now dead. Bad optical drive.

I wish I got this kind of service... I got the shaft.

On the note of your drive... I have had this happen twice in my history with 2 diff machines... it just happens to these drives with age. a replacement should keep you running for at least another 2 years.

Reaction score
Im not sure if its the same, but on my Powerbook 1.25ghz the optical drive is DVD-R so it wont read +R's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
more than one Mac
Im not sure if its the same, but on my Powerbook 1.25ghz the optical drive is DVD-R so it wont read +R's

This is just a functionality issue, The issue in this thread is an issue of old drives going bad.

Reaction score
Had the same problem

My new Macbook White had the same issue. I'm expecting a replacement next week. I'm wondering now if this is a major issue with the Macbook White 2009.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
more than one Mac
My new Macbook White had the same issue. I'm expecting a replacement next week. I'm wondering now if this is a major issue with the Macbook White 2009.

ut oh... at least you guys are getting your problems taken care of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.