no window in safari

Reaction score
Hi
I just got my new EMac. Had to reinstall the system (partially).
I can't see the window in Safari browser. It opens the program, but there is no window. When I try to create a new window - nothing happens.
any advice?
thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well I'm not sure it would help, but it won't hurt. Did you repair permissions?

OP
I
Reaction score
I download the updates and it works now. Not sure if this helped, but as long as it's OK, I am fine too.

I bought this EMac 1 month ago, and since then it seems that I've been troubleshooting more than actually using it. Unfortunately it seems like there is always something wrong.
First, I had problem with Mail software. This was finally fixed after multiple long sessions on the phone with the Mac people.
In the meantime (while working on the Mail fix), the Mac guy suggested that I reinstall (partially) my system - so I did. It didn't fix the Mail software problem, but it created some other problems. My Adobe Acrobat software stoped working. I deleted it, but can't reinstall it. When starting the installation, the msg apears "can't install Adobe Acrobat" (or something close to it). No explanation why.
Also, when I go "Change desktop background" and try to select pics for my Screen Saver, I don't have the "select picture" folder on the left hand side.
This is what I have: First line says "computers name" and it should have the blue logo like the rest of the options for ex. Flurry, abstract etc.
Instead, it has a folder logo. It seems like it lets me choose the folder for my screen saver ,but it won't do anything after the selection has been made. I reinstalled my system for the second time, but I still have the same problem and my Acrobat can't be installed either.
Not to mention small things like the one I wrote about when I started this thread.
Any suggetions?
thanx for your response...:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Seems to need a bit of maintenance - do you use Mac Janitor? If not or another,
repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi
I did do the "repair permissions" option. I am kind of lost on the second part - the utilities terminal. Could explain it more - what should I do in there?
It did not help much though (repair permissions).
I am wondering what else I can try...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed. These rotate out all the system logs. Don't be concerned about the weekly taking long, it's supposed to. Guess they figured that the super long run on the monthly in Linux was too long so they moved it in OS X to make it quicker :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.