Can I install Ubuntu on External Hard Drive under Parallels?

Reaction score
I use a MBP and am running Parallels. I currently have it set up with a Windows XP partition on my internal hard drive.
Now what I wish to do is set up a Linux partition using Ubuntu. I know this is possible using Parallels but becuase of hard drive space I don't want to put it on my internal drive. I have a external firewire hard drive that I wish to use. Is it possible for me to set up this Parallels partition to also have a Ubuntu partition and as well have it on a external hard drive? Where can I get instructions on how to do this? Thanks in advance for help.

Reaction score
mark, you gave me an idea too. id also like to install linux without using the internal harddrive space. either parallels or bootcamp is fine with me as long as i can run linux (from the external harddrive). i dont own a macbook yet but i'll be getting one with the 60gb harddrive only.

OP
M
Reaction score
That's good to hear.I had no clue if you can run Ubuntu under BootCamp as well. That's something I may look into.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mini mac 1.83 w/superdrive. iPod 80GB. Ipod shuffle coming soon...
If anyone knows the answer that would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I guess there's only one way to find out! It can't be that hard to just try it, right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.