Closing macbook questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0Ghz, 1Gb of ram, 80gb hdd, OSX Tiger.
I have a few questions about what happens when I close my macbook.

1. When I close my macbook, but still have it on, it closes my internet connection. This can be annoying while downloading seasons of shows from iTunes. Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?

2. Can I have it so when I close my macbook it logs me out kinda like windows so applications still run or is this not possible?

3. Can I set it so upon turning on my macbook it goes to the login screen instead of auto logging me in, I do have a password set. I'm the only account on my laptop but I don't want my roommates turning it on and using it without me knowing.

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The reason why your Macbook's internet connection turns off is because when you close the lid, you're putting the computer to sleep. There is no built in option to turn this feature off, though there is a program called Insomniax that lets you close the lid without putting the computer to sleep.

I personally don't know how you can do the second two, but I was actually thinking about it the other day. I'll wait for somebody else to answer the question more definitively

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I don't suggest you use any program that keeps your macbook "awake" when you close the lid.. If you do make sure and read all the warnings.. It could just be a fluke but two weeks after I started to use insomniax my HDD was fried.. I was not thrilled when I had to fork out $140 on a new 120gb HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
To turn off the auto login, open System Prefs, and go to the security tab, and check the box next to Disable AUtomatic Login

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
To turn off the auto login, open System Prefs, and go to the security tab, and check the box next to Disable AUtomatic Login
I don't think that's what he means.

To the OP: System Preferences > Security and check "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.