checklist for checking out refurb 15" PB

E

etaon

I just received a refurbished 15" Powerbook, specs:

PowerBook G4 1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/AP Extreme Card/GigE/Aluminum/15"TFT - Refurbished

I've never had a Powerbook or a Mac of any kind before. What procedures can I do to check out if there are any problems with it? Any other tips for a beginner?

So far I haven't seen any problems.

Thanks.

OP
W

Wapa18

i'm not sure you really need to do any kind of checklist...refurbished macs are put through the same quality checks at apple before they're sent out as the new ones are. i think the whole "i just got a great new computer!" feeling will take care of any problems cuz u'll be obsessed with all the little details. i know i was when i got mine. but nothing serious in the way of physical system checks should be necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I'm sure it's tip top! If you don't plan on Mac Janitor, the Mac maintenance:
run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed
repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

OP
J

Joeytpg

etaon said:

PowerBook G4 1.25GHz/512MB/80GB/SuperDrive/AP Extreme Card/GigE/Aluminum/15"TFT - Refurbished

I've never had a Powerbook or a Mac of any kind before. What procedures can I do to check out if there are any problems with it? Any other tips for a beginner?

Thanks.

etaon: Where did you bought your Refub Powerbook? where you ordered it from??..... i wanto to buy THAT SAME EXACT Powerbook you just got.....A REFUrBISHED ONE TOO!

Jesus it's like looking at me 4 months from now :eek: hehehe

anyway's where you ordered it from?...how much did you pay for it, TOTAL?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Joeytpg said:
etaon: Where did you bought your Refub Powerbook? where you ordered it from??..... i wanto to buy THAT SAME EXACT Powerbook you just got.....A REFUrBISHED ONE TOO!

Jesus it's like looking at me 4 months from now :eek: hehehe

anyway's where you ordered it from?...how much did you pay for it, TOTAL?
Joey: no location listed.. in the Apple stores - Refurbs are easy to find! :cool:

OP
J

Joeytpg

witeshark said:
Joey: no location listed.. in the Apple stores - Refurbs are easy to find! :cool:

ok so just go to Apple and look for "refurbished Powerbooks" and i'll find it right there? :)

best Deal??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
etaon said:

Thanks.

Normally, when a 'end user' buys a Mac and it dies within the first few weeks. After which it's returned to Apple for repair and a replacement is given to the 'end user'. The old faulty one can't be sold as new (it's a policy that Apple is very keen on keeping)

This faulty machine will be repaired, sometimes parts are replaced and can only be sold as Referb Stock. Apple tends to supply a limited warranty of around 90 days or there abouts.

Those refurb machines will go through the same testing as new Mac's but sometimes the odd one, might slip through the net. So you should check to see everything works and do it quickly.

There's a Hardware Testing Software on the CD or DVD... just run it by following the instructions in your manual. It's normal, if a Mac works without trouble for the first 6 months, you'll probably never get a problem with it. Unless you try to make it 'Fly'

Have Fun.

OP
E

etaon

Thanks everyone. Yes I did get it from the apple store. I got it for $1899 plus tax. That was like a week after the new generation ones came out, so I was basically paying 600 less than I would have for the same one a week earlier. My thought was that a lot of the refurbished ones at this time probably have nothing at all wrong with them, they were just returned because people wanted the new generation ones.

I did run the apple hardware test from the included DVD and everything came up fine. So far I have had no problems, except strangely, the built in-speakers had an annoying static noise on the first day I got it, but after that day they were fine.

Other than that it's been great, and I would recommend going for a refurbished one. Just make sure you also get the Apple Care.

OP
E

etaon

To get to the refurb section in the apple store, go to http://store.apple.com and click on the picture that says "Special Deals" and has a red tag with save written on it. It's on the left side about halfway down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.