• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Watching DVD's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi All

I have noticed today, while trying to watch a DVD, that I cannot select anything from the DVD menu.
I select menu from the Apple remote, which makes the desktop shrink back and the "front row" icons come into place. I select DVD and insert a disc. It reads the disc then asks if I want to start playing, goto menu etc. as normal. But when I select DVD menu I find that I cannot select anything with the remote. This is annoying as sometimes I like to hear the alternative soundtrack on a disc, and the remote will not let me select any of the menu icons - I can't even select a scene - I have to start from the beginning (or where I last left it) or nothing. Is there something that I have not setup correctly or is this just the way it works.

Cheers

Philip

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one..........Oh well !

Reaction score
Does it work if you don't use Frontrow and just play directly through the Dvdplayer?

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi cjay

Thanks for the reply. Yes, if I do not use front row, and just click on the disc icon on the desk top, I can use the player as normal. Is this Normal???

Cheers

Philip

Reaction score
I think so mate. When in frontrow the remote is probably defaulting to the frontrow menus. I never use it. I just play my dvds with dvdplayer.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that cjay. At least I now know that it isn't a fault.

Cheers

Philip

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.