Firewire Hard Drives

K

Kananigirl

I'm wondering what brands of Firewire Hard Drives are good? I'm looking to for a 7,200 rpm HD. Can anyone make any suggestions and about how much do they cost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
I have a Maxtor 160Gb, Runs very well. Cost be about $350. But that was a year ago. So I'm guessing its about $275ish? I also know that Western Digital makes some pretty nice ones. I'm not to sure on who else makes them and how they compare, but I'm sure others here on the board will put down some suggestions.

EY

OP
C

Chamorro

I always suggest to look into getting a good internal HD (Western Digital) that is on sale, and putting it in a FireWire enclosure w/ an Oxford 911 chipset.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
Chamorro said:
I always suggest to look into getting a good internal HD (Western Digital) that is on sale, and putting it in a FireWire enclosure w/ an Oxford 911 chipset.
I think i'ld like to do that, probably piggy back both of them.. i'm runnning out of space.. so where mite i find such things? such as the firewire enclosure w/ an oxford 911 chipset?

EY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
You'll want to avoid Maxtor drives if you value your data. They're notorious for overheating and failing. I'd definitely go with a Western Digital.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Funny. In some forums people say just the opposite - and I have a Maxtor drive that's running just great :rolleyes:

OP
K

Kananigirl

I've heard bad things about Maxtor, then I've heard good things about it too. Interesting to see what everyone says.

OP
C

Chamorro

EYPUFF said:
I think i'ld like to do that, probably piggy back both of them.. i'm runnning out of space.. so where mite i find such things? such as the firewire enclosure w/ an oxford 911 chipset?

EY

Other World Computing (OWC) is one, and you can also search Google or Froogle under "FireWire enclosure" - but beware that not all sites list the chipset used.
You can also check out your local computer place; FireWire cases are not platform-specific.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Kananigirl said:
I've heard bad things about Maxtor, then I've heard good things about it too. Interesting to see what everyone says.
I have a Maxtor and no problems. I have heard they are great and that they are not. From my own experience they are just fine (and silent too)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Rather than listen to us "I have one and it's great" or "This and that is better" just go to Google and do some reading. You'll find that statistically, besides Maxtor, the two worst drives are IBM Deskstars (deathstars) and Quantum (which is owned by Maxtor).

Anyway, don't take our word for any of it. Go do some research before you get your new drive.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

id have to agree with the lacie drives...ive never come across a problem with any of their product and i also have had a couple cd burners.
checkin out their site today i found a perfect HD for the powerbook lovers http://lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10061 nice sleak design very close to the look and feel of the powerbook

OP
P

pcjabber

Osiris22x said:
You'll want to avoid Maxtor drives if you value your data. They're notorious for overheating and failing. I'd definitely go with a Western Digital.
I have never had a problem with a Maxtor Drive. (been using them for at least 7 years) And,I know that if something does go wrong, that I can use their no-questions-asked warranty...=)

--PCjabber

EDIT: Sept 2004 - I had one overheat last month. However, it was in a _TINY_ case (the Asus Pundit -- PC, I run Linux on it and use it as a PVR - http://www.mythtv.org), and it was about 3mm from the mainboard, under the DVD drive, and about 1 inch from the warm PSU. The whole drive assy is about 3 inches from the CPU inside a Steel/Alum Combo case, about 13" tall, 4" wide, and 18" deep. Tiny. It was running for about a year, with many power outages, and power-offs. Anyway, it stood that for a year, then one day when booting it up, I see: "WARNING: SMART drive error: drive is about to fail. Please replace it immediately." I called Maxtor, and a week later (it would have been faster, but they had just run out of them in the warehouse) I got a 40GB upgrade for free -- had a 160GB, and they sent a 200GB. The manufacture date was about 2 weeks earlier! hot off the line ;-)

OP
S

slw

How about 160GB SmartDisk CrossFire USB 2.0 & FireWire External Hard Drive

QUESTION?

Can anyone share experience/opinion regarding the external harddrive SmartDisk CrossFire USB 2.0 & FireWire External Hard Drive?

OR can anyone strongly recommend another similar external hard drive at about same price ($140-180) for 160 GB.

BACKGROUND

I have had good experiences with Internal 120 Western Digital Caviar and some problems with IBM Deskstar (external drive).

But was very satisfied with Other World Computing (they sold me the Western Digital)...

So was suprised to find their primary external drive is 160GB (or 120 GB) SmartDisk CrossFire USB 2.0 & FireWire External Hard Drive.

Been looking for reviews of SmartDisk. So far, it sounds good. Any experience or opinions on SmartDisk would be welcome.

I'll primarily be using it for storage of video rather than editing...based mostly on problems with Deskstar.

I have a G4 computer and use Premiere 6 for editing.

THANKS in advance for any assistance.

Sandra

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
I have two Lacie 160gig hard drives, never had a problem with either of them, the design and finish of the casing is nice and sleek, matches my powerbook, plus Lacie just got a very good rating in a MacUser's lab test, actually finished on top as the best external hard drive to get. But at the end of the day, i guess it's just down to personal preference.

OP
S

slw

OWC Nepture or Mercury Elite Harddrive

Thanks!!! for response to last post.

Now, I'm considering the 160GB OWC Neptune 7200RPM FireWire Solution

or

160GB Mercury Elite 800 Pro 7200RPM FireWire

Has anyone heard or experienced anything about the OWC Mercury Elite or Nepture harddrives?

Thanks in advance for any assistance in evaluating them.

Sandra

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.