Mail keeps hiding IMAP folders

Reaction score
How do I get Mail to show all IMAP folders? I've created subfolders under "Inbox" and it keeps hiding them..argh!

OP
C
Reaction score
Anyone? This is a huge design flaw.. I'd almost call it a bug. I have emails in a folder I created called "asdf" and Mail won't show that folder no matter what.

Reaction score
My 3 accounts are all IMAP and like your they show under the parent folder "Inbox".

I don't have any problem with them ever being hidden and the subfolders were created as I added each account. I have read that Mail.app doesn't handle IMAP all that well. Having said that, I haven't had any problems except with some drafts that remain in the drafts folder even though I have sent them off. Sometimes there are more than one copy of the same draft. This could be a general Mail.app bug and may have nothing to do with IMAP.

When you say:

I've created subfolders under "Inbox"

Do you mean literally, or that as you added an account in Preferences -> Accounts, a folder for the account was automatically created under "Inbox"?

This is interesting ... can you take a screenshot of the IMAP accounts being "Hidden" and upload it here?

OP
C
Reaction score
OK, a step by step visual walkthrough. (give it a minute, imageshack is slow sometimes)

Step 1: create a new mailbox.

step1lf0.jpg

Step 2: I'm naming it "My Test"

step2fj6.jpg

Step 3: As you can see, the mailbox does not show up at all. Even if I quit and restart Mail, nothing.

step3noshowww1.jpg

Step 4: I create a second mailbox, called "Mailbox 2"

step42ndboxzl0.jpg

Step 5: Oh check it out.. now an arrow shows up, I click it, and there are both mailboxes.

step6finallyzo2.jpg

Step 6: I delete "My Test" mailbox..

step7deletemi2.jpg

Step 7: All folders disappear once again

step8hiddenagaincq0.jpg

EDIT: Aha. Solution found.

Go to the account prefs, click Advanced.. checkmark "Automatically synchronize changed mailboxes". And for me personally, I had to put "INBOX" as the IMAP path prefix.

Works great now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Ignore all of that ;) was misreading! Glad you got it sorted!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.