• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Connecting to a Win2K3 fileserver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Anybody able to connect to a Win2K3 fileserver? I made the mistake of upgrading, and the only thing that is wrong is that my iMac can't see the fileserver shares. I can see other computers shares, but not the fileserver shares.

Is this a samba client thing?

I upgraded to the latest samba in fink, I am pretty sure it is the latest on the samba.org site. But I still cannot connect. I am gettin -5000 errors.

H

hokiethang

hrm, thats odd, i have a win2k3 file server running with samba just fine. I have a client account setup for my powerbook, and it has rights to the shared directory. I dont really specialize in samba so i cant really tell ya what is going on under the hood, but i have 10.2.5 and all the latest updates and mine seems to work fine.

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You created an account on the Win2K3 server for your mac? I did this, and I still can't get into the share. I am thinking maybe it is because I am using the "File Server" option of the software. Maybe if I disabled that, and then just shared the folder out, it would let me in.

H

hokiethang

yeah, i have just a simple share setup, not trying to use win2k3's file server subsystem. I will see if one of my co-workers ( who is the windows system engineer here ) can figure it out in his spare time, but until then, im just using simple shares.

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still have been unable to connect to a Win2K3 server. Any ideas? I have tried updating samba and it still will not connect. I have it setup as a simple share now, as well, and I still can't see it.

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have FINALLY figured out what the **** is going on.

There is an issue with XP, that requires all authentication to be digitally sealed, or encrypted. Samba does not yet support this "feature" as it is an Active Directory thing.

So what you need to do is go into the Local Policy for XP Pro, or the Domain Policy for Win2k3 Server ( which is basically XP server ), and change the policy named Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always) to disabled. There is also one for server, I would disable that as well. You MUST reboot for the changes to take effect. Or you can stop and start some services which isn't as reliable, to me.

Keep in mind this is reducing the security on your XP / Win2k3 machines ( if you have any :) ). So do this at your own risk.

Hope this helps somebody. Took me a long time to get this settled.

Needless to say, I am looking for a way to get my 5 disk volume out of Win2K and into Linux.

H

haiku

SMB signing has been present on the Windows server platform since WinNT but hasn't been defaulted to ON until Win2003 Server was released. I've been having the exact same issue at my school ever since they updated from Win2k to Win2k3. The admin is a great guy but refuses to budge on turning SMB singing off even though it has rendered all Mac users unable to use the network. So much for a heterogenious environment...

I've tried using the built-in Samba on OS X in addition to Thursby's Dave and ADmitMac products. Nothing has worked and Thursby is definately aware of the issue based upon this statement in their FAQ section :

Question: Does DAVE or ADmitMac work with Windows Server 2003?

Answer: In order for the current version of ADmitMac or DAVE to work with Windows Server 2003, you must disable SMB signings and make sure that the authentication method is not set to NTLMv2 only. Currently, neither DAVE nor ADmitMac supports either option.

Anyway, supposedly SMB singing is a new feature in the recently released Samba 3.0 which is still in beta but I've been unable to compile it for OS X successfully...Mainly because I don't know what I'm doing. Any help would be appreciated.

J

JzL

Here is what I Followed to get mine working.... I made a .txt to keep around. (I am brand new to Macs)

------------------------
Connecting a Mac to Win 2003 Server (Files)

Symptom (example)

I hit apple + k then the connect to server box comes up, I find my server and in the address is says smb://172.16.7.150 I try to connect and it asks me for my username and password, I enter it and i get an error messge it says:

An error has occurred (error = -5000).

I can ping the IP address.
If I leave the password blank I get an error message it says:

An error has occurred (error = -5023).

Fix

You need to make a registry change on the Windows 2003 box.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters

The value of RequireSecuritySignature needs to be changed from '1' to '0'. After that is done, you need to go to 'Security Settings', 'Local Policies', 'Security Options'. You then need to set the 'Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications' to disabled. It is enabled by default. (only if the win2k3 box is a domain controller)
--------------------------------

I do have one issue that I cant get around with this method however... I dont have the correct permissions on the shares. When I try to throw anything on the share or create a new folder.. I get authenication errors saying I dont have rights..

B

Buffasaur

Windows Server 2003 Basics

Not that I've got every thing worked out, but:
1. You don't need samba, unless you like it
2. File & Print services for Macintosh must be installed
3. A "share" must be created, and shared to Apple Macintosh Users (hard to verify this without using the share wizard)
4. Share permissions (as opposed to folder & file permissions, aka NTFS permissions) should be "wide open," that is Everyone should have Full Control. Without this step, no matter what NTFS right you think you have, you will not be able to create folders or share files. It's far easier (and more flexible) to manage just the NTFS permissions without complicating it with share permissions.
5. Make sure you have NTFS permissions to create and save files and folders (typically, the "Modify" permission) on the folder that is shared
6. Additionally, on the Mac share (this is viewed on the WS03 server, Computer Management mmc, System Tools|Shared folders|Shares), ensure that on the General tab, under SFM Volume Security, that "This volume is read-only" is unchecked - or you may not see it when you attempt to connect from your Mac.
7. Be nice to your windows geek. They know not to whom they've sold their soul. On the other hand, this ain't NT4, and they need to have a clue. If any of the above 6 steps leaves them glassy eyed, push for an X-server, or you may never have network storage space.

R

rudi

Connecting to Windows Server 2003

I have connected my Apple Mac G4 Powerbook to Windows Server 2003, It is not connected through samba, you dont need to reduce your password to 6 alpha or numerics.

Anyone wanting to connect to Server 2003 contact me, its too complicated to write on here, it conects just like you would on a PC, i can access all my users files as a administrator and copy them to my Mac, you dont connect via smb or the with the usual box, when I connect i get a Box with the microsoft logo and enter my usual name and password and bingo I am in.

I will help anyone with theis problem as I found Apple support totally un helpful in this area as I also did microsoft.

It really dose work!!!!! i have also synced Microsoft Entourage to my server as well no probs

You need to download from the Microsoft website UAM Enabiler and install it on your Mac

Rudi Dobson

Emrys said:
Anybody able to connect to a Win2K3 fileserver? I made the mistake of upgrading, and the only thing that is wrong is that my iMac can't see the fileserver shares. I can see other computers shares, but not the fileserver shares.

Is this a samba client thing?

I upgraded to the latest samba in fink, I am pretty sure it is the latest on the samba.org site. But I still cannot connect. I am gettin -5000 errors.
:)

M

MacCube

Hi,

Yea I am in exactly the same position. I am running 10.3 and can "see" the win2k3 server but when i try to enter a user/pass it says the link is invalid.

Please help!!

N

nkoenigs

Can't Connect, can't get our it guy to cooperate

I also can't connect to a windows 2003 server. Like several others, I can't get our IT guy to turn SMB signings off. I have an 867 mhz powerbook running x.3.5. Has anyone found any other reliable ways of getting on a 2003 windows server?

S

Semtex007

Further to 'Rudi's offer to supply the details on how to implement Windows 2003 'File & Print Sharing' with an Apple Mac, I would welcome advise anyone can throw my way. I have been asked by a local Charity Theatre to replace their aging PCs with new Dell items and to implement a common fileserver. However lurking in the corner of the office is an Apple Mac, hoping to join in on the fun !!

I could document on a postage stamp my total knowledge of the Mac so anything, anyone can offer would be a great help.

Thanks in advance....

J

Junglist

Hi Rudi,

I am also having problems connecting our macs here at work to the windows servers. I would love to have some help in resolving this issue. Please help.

rudi said:
I have connected my Apple Mac G4 Powerbook to Windows Server 2003, It is not connected through samba, you dont need to reduce your password to 6 alpha or numerics.

Anyone wanting to connect to Server 2003 contact me, its too complicated to write on here, it conects just like you would on a PC, i can access all my users files as a administrator and copy them to my Mac, you dont connect via smb or the with the usual box, when I connect i get a Box with the microsoft logo and enter my usual name and password and bingo I am in.

I will help anyone with theis problem as I found Apple support totally un helpful in this area as I also did microsoft.

It really dose work!!!!! i have also synced Microsoft Entourage to my server as well no probs

You need to download from the Microsoft website UAM Enabiler and install it on your Mac

Rudi Dobson

:)

S

stevehaxxon

Junglist said:
Hi Rudi,

I am also having problems connecting our macs here at work to the windows servers. I would love to have some help in resolving this issue. Please help.

We installed a extra drive in our Windows 2003 Server and created a new share, and moved our files to the new share, the pc computers can see the share just fine, the mac's can't see the folders. (before the moving folders off of the main drive, everyone could see the 150 gig and 120,000 files just fine in one share). I thought it might be a files size and amount of folders, 150 gig 120,000 files, but after reducing each share to 20 gig and 12,000 files, they still won't show up on the mac's.

It seem's like it's not updating what's on the Windows 2003 server for the mac's?

Sounded like the above fixe might work but would like confirmation.

Please help..

S

stevehaxxon

Windows 2003 Server playing hostage with mac shares

Junglist said:
Hi Rudi,

We installed a extra drive in our Windows 2003 Server and created a new share, and moved our files to the new share, the pc computers can see the share just fine, the mac's can't see the folders. (before the moving folders off of the main drive, everyone could see the 150 gig and 120,000 files just fine in one share). I thought it might be a files size and amount of folders, 150 gig 120,000 files, but after reducing each share to 20 gig and 12,000 files, they still won't show up on the mac's.

It seem's like it's not updating what's on the Windows 2003 server for the mac's?

Sounded like the above fixe might work but would like confirmation.

Please help..

S

stevehaxxon

Limited Knowledge

witeshark said:
I would look here as a start

The mac world is relatively new to me, so I have a limited amount of knowledge on mac's and want to make sure I am applying the right solution. The solution above about applying the (change to the policy named Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always) to disabled.) sounded like it would fix my problem, but I wanted to ask people such as yourself who have experience whether I was correct.

Thanks,

R

rudi

Connecting you Mac to Server 2003

:cool:

If anyone is having problems conntcting their Mac to server 2003 there now is a simple solution you can now by software from me that we allow you to do all the things with your mac on a pc server you would exspect. its easy and simple to use so if you want to obtain the software then contact me

Rudi Dobson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.