• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Connecting to a Win2K3 fileserver

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rudi

Connectiong your Mac

Hi

I can help you connect your mac in 3 easy moves so contact me and I will walk you through it

regards

Rudi Dobson

stevehaxxon said:
We installed a extra drive in our Windows 2003 Server and created a new share, and moved our files to the new share, the pc computers can see the share just fine, the mac's can't see the folders. (before the moving folders off of the main drive, everyone could see the 150 gig and 120,000 files just fine in one share). I thought it might be a files size and amount of folders, 150 gig 120,000 files, but after reducing each share to 20 gig and 12,000 files, they still won't show up on the mac's.

It seem's like it's not updating what's on the Windows 2003 server for the mac's?

Sounded like the above fixe might work but would like confirmation.

Please help..

B

bartolomoio

Hello everyone... I'm new here so I hope I sit in the right thread.

Our company just bought one of his first mac's. A Powerbook G4 OS X 10.3.6. Great machine.... But I have a little troubles connecting to our Win 2003 Server.
I managed it to bind it to the active directory. So for so good, when i go to network in the finder i see all my servers and PC's in the local domain but cannot connect to it.
When I try to connect it says: "The alias 'servername' could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found"
When i try it trough "connect to server" it says "could not connect to the server because name or password is not correct"

I've tried to install MS UAM but still the same result. I tried to set "Digitaly sign communications (always) to disabled" Nothing worked....

Somebody got a good answer for this? O, almost forgot: we don't use an .local domain.

Thank you guys very much for the stil to come help....

Bart

R

rudi

connecting your mac to server 2003

Hi just download the following link and install and you will be able to connect to your PC Server

http://download.microsoft.com/download/win2000srv/Install/1/MacOS/EN-US/MSUAM_for_X.hqx

Rudi Dobson

stevehaxxon said:
We installed a extra drive in our Windows 2003 Server and created a new share, and moved our files to the new share, the pc computers can see the share just fine, the mac's can't see the folders. (before the moving folders off of the main drive, everyone could see the 150 gig and 120,000 files just fine in one share). I thought it might be a files size and amount of folders, 150 gig 120,000 files, but after reducing each share to 20 gig and 12,000 files, they still won't show up on the mac's.

It seem's like it's not updating what's on the Windows 2003 server for the mac's?

Sounded like the above fixe might work but would like confirmation.

Please help..
:dive:

J

jcayo11

Thanks Rudi

Not sure if anybody formally thanked you on the post, but after a good 48 hours, this file fixed the problem.

Thanks.

F

Flx

hmm ok this thread is a bit old but ill try anyway ;)

I must say before that I am not that known with mac os etc..

- ive got a win2k3 server running with no appletalk services or so ever,
- we have got a share "//servername//archives"

a collegue uses mac al lot for design and stuff, he can connect to the share, then he gets a login screen, uses his user/password.

he can get in the share but he cannot see any files ? Why ? plz help..
rudy ?

M

minyiz

We currently upgraded our file server to windows 2003 as a member server. we did not to the domain upgrade or prep for windows 2003. so that might bring us some issue.

We successful connected all the MAC to the windows 2003 file server. Unfortunately, users with OS 9 or 9.2.2 can't see files or folder created in PC..

ex. windows XP user create a folder called MAc-2000.
users in OS X using SMB can see the files. But users with OS 9.2. can't!!!

Any idea!!!

M

michaelmatos

Did you ever get an answer for this I am also having the same issues. AFP access to win2k3 server results in in some files not showing up. Any file posted by a Windows desktop do not update the SFM with the info for the Mac user to see. Is there on the Mac and through SMB, but not viewable with AFP.

D

dgminor1

Need Help Connecting to Windows 2003 server.

I could use your help connecting a mac to a newley install windows 2003 server upgrade.

rudi said:
I have connected my Apple Mac G4 Powerbook to Windows Server 2003, It is not connected through samba, you dont need to reduce your password to 6 alpha or numerics.

Anyone wanting to connect to Server 2003 contact me, its too complicated to write on here, it conects just like you would on a PC, i can access all my users files as a administrator and copy them to my Mac, you dont connect via smb or the with the usual box, when I connect i get a Box with the microsoft logo and enter my usual name and password and bingo I am in.

I will help anyone with theis problem as I found Apple support totally un helpful in this area as I also did microsoft.

It really dose work!!!!! i have also synced Microsoft Entourage to my server as well no probs

You need to download from the Microsoft website UAM Enabiler and install it on your Mac

Rudi Dobson

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Has anyone tried smbclient from the terminal?

smbclient //servername/sharename -U username

It's not as easy as a GUI but it works, and it's free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Junglist said:
Hi Rudi,

I am also having problems connecting our macs here at work to the windows servers. I would love to have some help in resolving this issue. Please help.

Anyone ever try smbclient from the terminal?

smbclient //servername/sharename -U username

you may need to add the machine in the netinfo database in order to resolve a .local domain server name. Or use the evar hard to find DotLocalConfigurator Startup item. Smbclient is a little clumsey but it's free and it works. Most admins refuse to turn off smb signing.

E

ez4sho

How to contact you

Greetings,

I have had a lot of problems accessing shares with a MAC powerbook that our graphic artist uses. It would be nice if he could have access to our shares without reducing security as most people have said would be the case. What is the best way to contact you? Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks!!

==========================================================
rudi said:
I have connected my Apple Mac G4 Powerbook to Windows Server 2003, It is not connected through samba, you dont need to reduce your password to 6 alpha or numerics.

Anyone wanting to connect to Server 2003 contact me, its too complicated to write on here, it conects just like you would on a PC, i can access all my users files as a administrator and copy them to my Mac, you dont connect via smb or the with the usual box, when I connect i get a Box with the microsoft logo and enter my usual name and password and bingo I am in.

I will help anyone with theis problem as I found Apple support totally un helpful in this area as I also did microsoft.

It really dose work!!!!! i have also synced Microsoft Entourage to my server as well no probs

You need to download from the Microsoft website UAM Enabiler and install it on your Mac

Rudi Dobson

:)

E

ez4sho

Software

Very interested in the software and how much it costs. Also, how does it work?

:yinyang:

rudi said:
:cool:

If anyone is having problems conntcting their Mac to server 2003 there now is a simple solution you can now by software from me that we allow you to do all the things with your mac on a pc server you would exspect. its easy and simple to use so if you want to obtain the software then contact me

Rudi Dobson

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Rudi Dobson

FYI UAM does not work over L2TP VPN to W2K3. Or at least our VPN. Perhaps if our VPN answered IPSEC it might work,...dunnoh. I've yet to try UAM on our LAN since I am rarely in the office. NTLMv2 in Tiger should have been a no brainer.

J

jimena_loyola

how connect MAC OSX to win 2003 with AFP

I have this problem: when I try to connect my mac G5 MAC OSX to windows server 2003 via AFP (afp://ip addres) I have the error code -35 (Volume not found). I don't have any problem with SMB, but the software Indesign -CS2 , need to work with this type of share disk.

Please any help!!

O

oliverj

Request for help

Hi Rudi,

You mentioned some software that can be purchased from you. Can you help me?

I have a customer that is using a Powerbook G4 10.4.3 Tiger and I have been trying for weeks to connect him to a Windows 2003 SBS network. The domain is a .local (I hear this is bad) and I get the usual errors when trying to connect to file shares and a username/password error when trying to connect to ecxchange through MS Entourage. I have installed MS UAM as mentioned in the forum but have not yet seen the MS branded login window appear when I connect to the server. My customer is now able to connect to file shares on the server as I have taken SBM off the server temporarily and he is using OWA to access his email.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

#################################################

If anyone is having problems conntcting their Mac to server 2003 there now is a simple solution you can now by software from me that we allow you to do all the things with your mac on a pc server you would exspect. its easy and simple to use so if you want to obtain the software then contact me

Rudi Dobson

M

McGyver

Getting it to work... with Tiger on iMac 20"

The other solution is as follows, where you can keep the SMB signing as it is by default on the Windows 2003 Server.

a) I set the authenticfication on W2K Server to: "Apple clear text and Microsoft"
b) Download the MS UAM Installer for Mac OX 10.1 or higher for Windows 2000 Server.
c) Install this on your Mac (iMac 20" in our case), but do not update the Apple Share
folder. ( I made this mistake the first time!)

d) Reboot ( I did)
e) Connect with the Windows 2003 Standard Server (As Admin it works, then correct the user settings as required for the users).

That´s it.

OS X: Mac OX (Tiger with all updates)

The problem was on Mac OX, where I had the trouble.
My problem was replacing the "Apple Share" folder from Tiger with the "Appleshare 3.8" folder supplied from the W2K3 Server "MS-UAM ..:" directory.

Recovered the backup´d Apple Share folder from Tiger.
Re-Ran the MS-UAM Installer, then the job was done.

R

rarity

Help

Hi Rudi,

It seems that you are the Windows 2003 Server Expert. So, here's my question. I've tried several times to connect my Powerbook G4 to my Office Windows 2003 Network trying to use the same user name and Password as my Windows Desktop computer is set up for the Network. But, when ever I've tried to connect to the Network Volume it would just simply not connect but would also not give any Error messages. After having installed DAVE, it connetcs my Powerbook without any complaints. I'm using OS X 10.4.5. Any, idea how to connect to Windows Server without DAVE since I really don't want to spend this kind of money. There's got to be an other simpler way instead of installing expensive 3rd party software, right?

rudi said:
:cool:

Rudi Dobson

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro
Hi Rudi:

I have a MacBook Pro that I am trying to connect to my Windows Server 2003. So far it does not work and I would like to buy your software.

Earl

D

dafajar

Can not see windows 2003 server volumes, running MAC OS 10.4.2

Hi every one, I'm running Mac Os 10,4.2 on an ibook g4, i'm trying to connect my ibook to a windows network, right now i can log on on all the windows clients that are sharing their hard disks. When i trying to connect to the server (to see all the volumes i had on it), after i log on, all that i can see on the volumes space is a "Microsoft UAM Volume", i can not acces either see the volumes....if anyone has solve this issue please help thank you. every help will be very important.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.