iPhoto slide show onto PowerPoint

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
Hi,

My wife has made up an awesome slide show for our daughters's Graduation Party. Unfortunately, the people providing the music and entertainment have told us that they are only able to display slideshows in PowerPoint.

I am not familiar with PowerPoint, so can anyone tell me if it is possible to import the slide show from iPhoto into PowerPoint and how it might be done. Alternatively, if anyone can suggest how else we might be able to show this slide show, I would appreciate it.

TIA

Neil M.

Reaction score
Hi nemick,

I'm not sure if I entirely understand your situation but, I'm fairly confident that NeoOffice would display the slideshow for you ....

NeoOffice Download Page

NeoOffice is a fully-featured set of office applications (including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, drawing, and database programs) for Mac OS X.

NeoOffice is free and if Microsoft PowerPoint will show it, NeoOffice should as well.

If it was created by iPhoto, the slideshow should already be viewable on your MacBook without the need for PowerPoint or NeoOffice, but if you want to display the slideshow on a PC, then I would suggest downloading OpenOffice.org for PC.

Hope this helps.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll try that, thanks. Yes, I can't get the people involved to just let us hook up our MBP, so I have to get it into another format to use on a PC. The neoOffice idea sounds good.

Neil M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I believe you can put a QuickTime file into powerpoint. When you send your iPhoto slideshow to iDVD it automatically creates a quicktime file of the slideshow

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpmonkey41,

Wow, that would be even easier then. I'll try that. Will the Quicktime file just show up with the same name given to the slide show, or will it give the option of naming it when its uploaded to iDVD?
Sorry if some of this seems obvious, but neither of us is really conversant with these esoteric manoeuvres.

Neil M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Your slideshow has some name in iPhoto. Once you have exported the slideshow to iDVD there will be a quicktime file with the same name as the slideshow in your Movies folder

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perfect, thanks so much

Neil M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Rather than waste your time with iDVD, just use File-->Export and save it as a Large (640x480) QuickTime movie. You might want to experiment to see if the changing the slideshow format has any affect. Click on the gear below the slideshow in iPhoto that says Settings.

Sounds to me that perhaps the entertainment people either don't want to deal with you or don't want to mess with their system. If they are using Mac or Windows, they can play your QuickTime movie, so you may want to suggest that as an option.

NeoOffice was a bust for me. I tried using the 30-day license of Keynote and was able to save a Powerpoint version with an intro slide and my movie on the second slide. My older version of Powerpoint couldn't handle it. (PP complained that QuickTime had to be installed and a MPEG-4 codec too. I installed QT which does play the independent movie but not when PP.)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
xstep,
Thanks for those tips. To be honest, the people we are dealing with are not exactly too savvy, technically, and as such, I get the impression that they are not keen on trying something other than what they are used to. It seems they have been able to get something working in PP and don't want to mess with their setup.
Ultimately, the dealings between us and them really is an example of the blind leading the blind.
Thanks

Neil M.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.