Dsl

G

G Fallon

I have an iMac with os 8.5 (planning to update to OS X later). I just purchased a Dell and would like to use Verizon DSL. 1.) Do I have to upgrade to OS X first in order to use DSL for both computers? 2.)Will I have problems with Verizon's router in linking the Dell and the iMac? 3.) Are any special cards or connectors necessary for the iMac? 4.) And while I'm at it-is there a less expensive way to purchase OS X? Thanks!

OP
C

Chamorro

1) Should be "no", but you will find that Mac<>PC communication is easier to set up w/ OS X.

2) Not if the router has >1 ethernet port. Otherwise you'll need to find an ethernet hub.

3) No.

4) What do you consider cheap?

OP
G

G Fallon

Chamorro said:
1) Should be "no", but you will find that Mac<>PC communication is easier to set up w/ OS X.

2) Not if the router has >1 ethernet port. Otherwise you'll need to find an ethernet hub.

3) No.

4) What do you consider cheap?

Tek Serve in NY sells it for $129 and I'd like to get it cheaper than that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That's the best I have seen

OP
C

Chamorro

Factory-fresh copies....can always check out MacMall, OWC, Amazon, NewEgg and other online retailers, but pay attention to the shipping charges. Cheapest is probably eBay or local classifieds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
1) No, 8.5 will work just fine
2) Nope, but you will need a hub/router
3) No, you will use the iMac's ethernet port
4) Only way to get OS X cheaper is via a student/teacher discount

Basically what you're going to do is plug your DSL straight into a router. Then the router is going to plug into your iMac and PC, via CAT5 networking cables. You turn on the DSL box, and then the router. The router will grab an IP address from the DSL, and then use network address translation to give IP addresses to both computers. This enables you to use your DSL on as many machines as you want, at one time.

And one word of warning, don't install the silly CDs that your DSL company gives you. They are NOT necessary, and generally will mess up your PC.

G Fallon said:
I have an iMac with os 8.5 (planning to update to OS X later). I just purchased a Dell and would like to use Verizon DSL. 1.) Do I have to upgrade to OS X first in order to use DSL for both computers? 2.)Will I have problems with Verizon's router in linking the Dell and the iMac? 3.) Are any special cards or connectors necessary for the iMac? 4.) And while I'm at it-is there a less expensive way to purchase OS X? Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.