• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD back-up apps?

Reaction score
On my PC I used to use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink to back up my DVD collection, but since I'm primarily using my MBP now I was wondering if there's any comparable software to do the same thing? I've tried running everything in Parallels, but for some reason the programs are crashing on me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
there is also DVD2oneX2, it's pretty decent. And there is DVDremaster It allows you to compress the files, kind of like dvd shrink for windows. However, I don't think it will rip the dvd. Actually come to think of it, it might. I'll have to check. There is of course handbrake like stated above.

There is also mac the ripper

I think those should get you on the right track download them all and give them a test drive.

OP
N
Reaction score
I do have handbrake and have used it to rip several of my DVD's to mp4 format for my video ipod, but I hardly know the ins & outs of the app so I wasn't sure if it would allow me to make a full uncompressed backups using my DL DVDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.