What's a good USB mouse?

Reaction score
I'm using a MBP as a desktop machine when I'm at home and have essentially replaced my PC with it now. So I took the Logitech MX-518 mouse that I was using on the PC and use it with the Mac. Obviously I lose a lot of the functionality of the Logitech due to no official drivers for that particular mouse with OSX. I was just wondering if anybody has any recommendations for a normal sized mouse (not any of those mini notebook mice) that the Mac fully supports? I was curious about the bluetooth mighty mouse as well, but it seems to get mixed reviews.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
I tried the Logitech MX Revolution on my iMac. It's a great feeling mouse, but the Logitech software is very buggy. I ended up moving that mouse to my WinXP laptop (where it works perfectly) and now have a Logitech MX610 on my iMac. The 610 doesn't have Mac drivers so I'm using SteerMouse and it works great - I'm able to configure all the buttons. This is another great feeling mouse, very responsive. It's a bit pricey, but certainly less expensive than the Revolution.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse
Sorry, both of the mice I mentioned are wireless.

I tried the Logitech MX Revolution on my iMac. It's a great feeling mouse, but the Logitech software is very buggy. I ended up moving that mouse to my WinXP laptop (where it works perfectly) and now have a Logitech MX610 on my iMac. The 610 doesn't have Mac drivers so I'm using SteerMouse and it works great - I'm able to configure all the buttons. This is another great feeling mouse, very responsive. It's a bit pricey, but certainly less expensive than the Revolution.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac - 1GHz G4 - 768MB RAM - 200GB - DVDRW
I've been using a USB optical wireless Microsoft Mouse that's pretty decent.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well, I suppose wireless is actually alright as well. I just hate changing out batteries. My biggest thing is I like customizable buttons and I'm really used to "forward" and "back" buttons on my mx518 and I can't customize anything at all with this mouse in OSX. I guess that's my biggest concern. I've also noticed that my mx518 seems to track a lot slower in OSX than it does on my Windows machine even when I turn mouse sensitivity all the way to maximum. I'm assuming that's because of the lack of proper drivers for the mouse though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac - 1GHz G4 - 768MB RAM - 200GB - DVDRW
I hear what you're saying, but quite honestly, I haven't replaced the batteries yet and I have had it for about two years and use it about three times a week.

OP
N
Reaction score
Looks like Steermouse says it can control gaming mice and it even showed a pic of my mx518. I guess I'll just try downloading it and hopefully it'll work. Hopefully it won't cause me grief in parallels.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well, downloaded Steermouse and it worked like a charm. This mouse works like a champ now and I love how you can have different application profiles if you want, which was a huge plus for Parallels.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.